Carl Benton Straub '58 Endowed Chair in Culture and the Environment; Professor of Philosophy and Environmental Studies; Chair, Department of Philosophy
Please see my personal webpage, here.
Environmental Ethics, Ethics, Epistemology
- PhD, Brown University, 2001;
- MA, Brown University, 1997;
- Honours BA, University of Western Ontario, 1993
- The Virtues of Sustainability (forthcoming); edited volume, under contract with Oxford University Press, for their series The Virtues, edited by Nancy Snow.
- "Testimony, Epistemic Egoism, and Epistemic Credit", European Journal of Philosophy (2019): 1–15.
- “Virtue Epistemology and the Environment” in The Routledge Handbook of Virtue Epistemology, H. Battaly, ed., (New York: Routledge, 2019): 392-406.
- “Patience”, International Encyclopedia of Ethics, H. LaFollette, ed., (Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell); revised entry, January 2019.
- “Equitable Local Climate Action Planning: Sustainable & Affordable Housing”, A. Pattison and J. Kawall, Ethics, Policy and Environment 21:1 (2018): 17-20.
- “Environmental Virtue Ethics” in The Oxford Handbook of Virtue, N. Snow, ed., (New York: Oxford University Press, 2018): 659-79.
- “A History of Environmental Ethics” in The Oxford Handbook of Environmental Ethics, S. Gardiner and A. Thompson, eds. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2017): 13-26.
- “Qualified Agent and Agent-Based Virtue Ethics and the Problems of Right Action” in The Handbook of Virtue Ethics, S. van Hooft, ed., with N. Athanassoulis, J. Kawall, J. Oakley, N. Saunders, and L. Van Zyl (Durham: Acumen 2014): 130-40.
- “Friendship and Epistemic Norms”, Philosophical Studies 165:2 (2013), pp. 349-70.
- “Ideal Observer Theories”, International Encyclopedia of Ethics, H. LaFollette, ed., (Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013).
- “Meaningful Lives, Ideal Observers, and Views from Nowhere”, Journal of Philosophical Research 37 (2012), pp. 73-97.
- “Rethinking Greed” in Ethical Adaptation to Climate Change: Human Virtues of the Future, A. Thompson and J. Bendik-Keymer, eds. (Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2012): 223-39.
- NEH Summer Institute, "Reviving Philosophy as a Way of Life," Summer 2018.
- Director, Lampert Institute for Civic and Global Affairs, 2015-18.
- Director, Environmental Studies Program, 2013-14 (acting), 2016-18.
- Visiting Research Fellow, Centre for Ethics, Philosophy, and Public Affairs, University of St. Andrews, Autumn and Spring 2010-11, Autumn 2006.
- NEH Summer Institute, "Environmental Ethics and Issues: Alaska as a Case Study," Summer 2001.