- BA, University of Nebraska at Omaha, 1964
- MS, Michigan State University, 1966
- PhD, University of Washington at Seattle, 1971
University of Washington, 1971; University of Montana's Flathead Lake Biological Station, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986
Phycology (algae) and macrophytes, plant evolution and diversity, introductory biology (evolution, ecology, and diversity)
Emphasis on the physiological ecology (temperature, pH, light, and nutrients) and how these factors affect growth and mating strategies in the snow alga Chloromonas in eastern and western North America
Editor and contributor to Snow Ecology reference, Cambridge University Press; numerous articles in Phycologia, Journal of Phycology, Arctic and Alpine Research, Canadian Journal of Botany, Hydrological Processes, International Microbiology, Rhodora, Proceedings of the Eastern and Western Snow Conferences; NASA and NATO conference reports; book chapters; photomicrographs in textbooks and references
- Associate editor of Phycologia (2 terms)
- Editorial board of Journal of Phycology
- Reviewer, writer and consultant for Wadsworth Publishing Co.
- Reviewer for several professional journals and science foundations
- Founder of the Prescott Award in Phycological Society of America (PSA)
- Organizing Committee of Northeast Algal Society (NEAS)
- Travel grants from NSF, NATO, NASA and Botanical Society of America (BSA)
- Research grants from Quebec Government House and Quebec Ministry of Environment and JPL with their "Mars Ice Project"
- Four broadcasts about snow algae on Jim Metzner's "Pulse of the Planet" aired on NPR