- BA Cornell University 1969
- PhD Princeton University 1975
American literature, culture, and society
Writers of the American Renaissance, especially Emerson, Thoreau, and Whitman; 19th century reform movements.
- Editor,The Blackwell Companion to American Literature, Volume 2: 1820-1914 (Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming).
- Co-editor, with Susan Belasco, The Bedford Anthology of American Literature: Volume 1, Beginnings to 1865; and Volume 2, 1865 to the Present. First Edition (Bedford/St. Martins, 2008); Second Edition (Bedford/St. Martins, 2014).
- Thoreau's Complex Weave: The Writing of "A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers," With the Text of the First Draft (University Press of Virginia, 1986).
- Historical Introduction to The Illustrated "A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers" (Princeton University Press, 1983).
- Historical Introduction to A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers (1980) in the Princeton University Press edition of The Writings of Henry D. Thoreau.
- Editorial Contributions, the Journal, Volumes 1 (1980) and 2 (1984) in the Princeton University Press edition of The Writings of Henry D. Thoreau.
- Essays in:
- The Oxford Handbook of Transcendentalism (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- The Emerson Dilemma: Essays on Emerson and Social Reform (University of Georgia Press, 2001).
- Approaches to Teaching Thoreau's "Walden" and Other Works (Modern Language Association, 1996).
- The Cambridge Companion to Henry David Thoreau (Cambridge University Press, 1995).
- Critical Essays on Henry David Thoreau's "Walden" (G.K. Hall, 1988).
- Entries in the Biographical Dictionary of Transcendentalism and the Encyclopedia of Transcendentalism (Greenwood Press, 1996).
- Numerous articles and reviews in various journals, including American Literature, Emerson Society Papers, ESQ: A Journal of the American Renaissance, Modern Intellectual History, New England Quarterly, Nineteenth-Century Literature, Resources for American Literary Study, Studies in the American Renaissance, Studies in Bibliography, Thoreau Society Bulletin, and the Walt Whitman Review.
Editorial board of ESQ: A Journal of the American Renaissance and The Collected Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson (Harvard University Press); Advisory Board, Uncle Tom's Cabin and American Culture Project; Thoreau's Complex Weave cited as one of the "Outstanding Academic Books" of 1986-87 by Choice; National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow, the American Antiquarian Society 1984-85; Visiting Fellow, the Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery 1975.