Updated: April 16, 2020
We know you have lots of questions about how COVID-19 may affect your internship, job, or graduate school plans. This may affect your application, selection, and onboarding processes. We know this is stressful and changing fast. As you navigate these dynamics with accepted or potential opportunities, our team welcomes your questions and can offer support to help you think through how to move forward.
We’re available for remote appointments
Our career and peer advisers are well-versed in conducting appointments over Google Hangouts for students off campus. We’re increasing the number of available 30-min appointments to accommodate your needs. While our team works remotely, instead of calling our front desk, please schedule appointments using our online form at colgate.edu/ccsadvising. We’ll confirm your date and time and send you a Google Hangouts link to connect to the adviser.
We’re happy to talk through how to navigate specific situations related to COVID-19. Or, as always, our advisers are available to help you start exploring career options, work on your search documents (resumes, cover letters, networking, etc.), or put together a strategy to advance your plans.
Employer and graduate school responses
Many employers and graduate school faculty have transitioned to work remotely or are restricting their staff’s travel and that of interviewees. Unfortunately, some employers are unable to host interns this summer, whereas others are still hoping to welcome new hires as planned. In place of on-site interviews, if you would like to suggest a video interview with a potential employer or graduate program, our team can help you coordinate it using our office’s technology. As you navigate these dynamics with accepted or potential opportunities, we welcome your questions.
Employer info sessions
We’re staying in close communication with Colgate’s employer partners. We are working to move scheduled upcoming info sessions to video conferences so both students and employers can engage with each other. Please monitor Handshake’s event page for the most up-to-date information.
Summer Funding applicant decisions were announced on Monday, April 6. With travel restrictions and COVID-19 status evolving quickly, we highly encourage students to seek opportunities closer to home or remotely. We have updated our Summer Funding policies. Changes include:
- Summer Funding cannot support students traveling internationally to complete an experience.
- Due to the rapidly changing dynamics of employers and programs, the hosting employer or institution must confirm the details of the student’s proposed experience within seven days before the student submits grant paperwork.
- Mandatory budgeting sessions are required before a student can submit any paperwork. They will be held remotely and are accessible through Moodle.
- The deadline for students to confirm the details of their experience has been extended to June 15.
- Whenever possible, students are asked to prioritize refundable tickets and transactions that do not have a penalty for changing plans.
Lastly, although your interpersonal interactions might look a bit different this spring, we encourage you to use our online resources to continue your exploration, networking, and internship and job searches:
- Career Services Toolkit: Our online workshops and guides are available for you to learn how to write resumes and cover letters, create LinkedIn profiles, begin networking, or jump into interviews. Get a running start on learning the basics before jumping in with advisers for individualized coaching.
- Handshake: Colgate’s job and internship platform has postings from more than 500,000 employers. Activate your account and fill out your profile and career interests. Doing so helps employers find you, but also gives our team an indication of your interests so we can update you on upcoming opportunities. Note that all Colgate Premier recruiting opportunities are listed in the system as "Colgate Premier - (name of position)."
- The Colgate Link: The Colgate alumni network is distinctively powerful and passionate — the Colgate Link is a new tool to bring our global community together. Join the more than 2,200 alumni that have already activated the Colgate Link. On this exclusive online network, you can message alumni via email or virtual meeting, find people in your area, connect to alumni with shared student organizations and activities, and more. Students are required to participate in a Colgate Link info session to gain access to the platform. Those who have already met this requirement, including all seniors, were given immediate access.