Starting this June, all students are invited to a summer-long series of interactive virtual events with alumni.
Coordinated by Career Services and Colgate Professional Networks, the events will offer a venue for students and alumni to connect, discuss professional experiences, and hear about the work done every day. Kicking off the series on June 9 will be “Careers in Public Health,” featuring Steven Gabriel ’15, fellow, Buffalo’s Center for Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness; Ayanna Williams ’08, health researcher, Insight Policy Research; and Katie Williams ’15, product development and introduction fellow, FHI 360.
The next event, scheduled for June 11, is “Get in the Game with Sports Marketing,” featuring Brendan Buglione ’10, business development manager at Ball Corporation; Tara Carey ’13, Sports Partnership Lead, Snap, Inc.; and Josh Page '03, senior brand marketing manager at PepsiCo.
Additional sessions across a variety of industries and topics are being planned throughout the summer. During each event, students will be given time to ask questions and hear first-hand about alumni experiences in fields including media production, law, real estate, sustainability, and more.
“We want to give students the opportunity to learn about different career areas of interest,” says Chelsea Lehmann, assistant director of alumni engagement for Career Services. “Exploring different types of work and professional roles helps make it real for students and allows them to see themselves in it. Alumni are our best resource for this and so many have raised their hands to be helpful that we wanted to capitalize on their generosity.”
All events will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays afternoons. The schedule of events and registration will be posted on Handshake and listed in Career Services’ weekly email, What’s Going On.
Tentative Schedule of Events
June 9: Careers in Public Health
- Steven Gabriel ’15, Fellow, Buffalo’s Center for Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness
- Ayanna Williams ’08, Health Researcher, Insight Policy Research
- Katie Williams ’15, Product Development and Introduction Fellow, FHI 360
June 11: Get in the Game with Sports Marketing
- Brendan Buglione ’10, Business Development Manager, Ball Corporation
- Tara Carey ’13, Sports Partnerships Lead, Snap Inc.
- Josh Page ’03, Senior Brand Marketing Manager, PepsiCo
June 16: Choosing a Side — Life on a Political Campaign
- Andrew DeFrank ’18, Community Engagement Specialist, District Department of Transportation
- Rachel Hegarty ’19, Field Organizer, Biden for President
- Paul Lobo ’89, Founder, Policy Integration Partners LLC
June 18: Consulting 101
- Taylor Joan Babbitt ’18 Associate, EY
- Ben Heverly ’15, Senior Associate, Whiteboard Advisors
- Evelyn Koh ’11, Associate Director of Corporate Development, IQVIA
- Moderated by Pamela Duncan ’14, Innovation Consultant, Fahrenheit 212
June 23: I Want to Go to Law School, But Not Yet...
- Brian Ascher ’03, Partner, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
- Greer Harrison ’18, Litigation Paralegal, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Rob Sobelman ’08, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of NY
June 25: Upskilling for Sustainability Careers=
- Jackie Gerson ’11, PhD student in ecology, Duke University
- Sammi Leroy ’14, Project Consultant II, Energy and Resource Solutions
June 30: Starting on the First Floor — Working in Real Estate
- Alumni TBD
July 7: Marketing, Advertising, and PR — What's the Difference?
- Daniel Berry ’17 Associate, Crisis and Corporate Issues, Weber Shandwick
- Lauren Casella ’16, Senior Analyst, Marketing Sciences, R/GA
- Miriam Charry ’16 Account Executive at Wieden + Kennedy
July 9: Biotech Basics
- Laynie Dratch ’17, Genetic Counselor, Penn Medicine
- Peter Covitz ’86, Senior Director, Biogen
July 14: Start with Start-Ups (with Colgate TIA)
- Alumni TBD
July 16: Media Production
- Zac Coe ’14, Copywriter, MTV, Viacom
- Mara Stein ’19, East Coast Page, NBCUniversal Media, LLC