If you would like to request a recommendation letter, please use the following form: https://sites.google.com/site/carocastillag/recommendation-letter-requests
BS, MS, Universidad de las Americas, Puebla 2003, 2006; PhD, The Ohio State University, 2011
Microeconomics, behavioral economics, econometrics, development economics, gender economics
Intra-household decision-making, development economics, behavioral economics
Learn more about my research here.
- Castilla, Carolina. (forthcoming). "What’s Yours is Mine, and What’s Mine is Mine: Bargaining Power and Income Concealing between Spouses in India", Journal of Development Economics.
- Gebrehiwot, Tagel and Carolina Castilla. 2018. " Do safety net transfers improve diets and reduce undernutrition? Evidence from rural Ethiopia" Journal of Development Studies, https://doi.org/10.1080/00220388.2018.1502881
- Castilla, Carolina. 2018 "Political Role Models and Child Marriage in India." Review of Development Economics, pp. 1 – 23. Previously Circulated as: Political Role Models, Child Marriage, and Women’s Autonomy over Marriage in India. UNU-WIDER Working Paper 121/2017
- Castilla, Carolina. 2015 “Trust and Reciprocity between Spouses in India.” American Economic Review: P&P, 105 (5): 621 - 24.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Timothy Haab). 2015. “Asymmetric Search and Prospect Theory: Choice Experiment on Consumer Willingness to Search in the Gasoline Retail Market.” Applied Economics, Vol. 47 (8): 756 – 778.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Conor Coughlin, undergraduate student). 2014. “The Effect of Private High School Education on the College Trajectory.” Economics Letters. Vol. 125 (2): 200–203.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2014. “Field Experiment in a Course on Behavioral Economics: Nudging Students Around Campus.” Journal of Economic Education, 45 (3): 211-224.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Thomas Walker). 2013. “Is Ignorance Bliss? Gender Differences in the Effect of Asymmetric Information on Intra-Household Allocation.” American Economic Review: P&P, 103 (3): 263-268.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Timothy Haab). 2013. “Limited Attention to Search Costs in the Gasoline Retail Market: Evidence from a Choice Experiment on Consumer Willingness to Search.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 95 (1): 181-199.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2012. “Subjective Well-being and Reference Dependence: Insights from Mexico.” Journal of Economic Inequality, 10 (2): 219 - 238. Previously Circulated as: “Subjective Poverty and Reference Dependence: Income over Time, Aspirations and Reference Groups.” UNU-WIDER Working Paper 2010/76.
- Castilla, Carolina. (with Mariano Rojas). 2010. “Crisis Bancarias y Comportamiento Estrategico: Un Enfoque a Nivel Banco”. Administracion de Riesgos: Banca, mercados, empresa y modelos financieros. (Editor-reviewed article) Universidad Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM): 81 - 111
- Gender Differences in Intra-Household Efficiency: Evidence from an Investment Game between Spouses in India [under review]
- Inefficient Intra-Household Allocation under Asymmetric Information in Ghana (with Thomas Walker), [under review]
- A Participatory Method for Mapping Small Agricultural Plots with High Resolution Imagery (with Yuta Masuda, Jon Fisher, Wei Zhang, and Genowefa Blundo), [conditionally accepted, Journal of International Development]
- Spousal Communication and Intra-Household Allocation in Kenya (with Yuta Masuda and Wei Zhang)
- Ties that Bind: The Kin System as a Mechanism of Income-Hiding between Spouses in Rural Ghana. UNU-WIDER Working Paper 2013/007.
- Show me the Money: Intra-Household Allocation under Incomplete Information
Research with Undergraduate Students:
- Effect of Violence Prevention and Attention Units (UNIDADES) on Intimate Partner Violence in Dominican Republic (with Santa Ramirez)
- Taxes and Discounts: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Massachusetts (with Ian Ettinger)
- Political Role Models and Women Autonomy over Marriage and Fertility in India (with Gina Joseph)
- Castilla, Carolina. 2008. “Heteroskedasticity in Fixed-Effects One-way Error Component Models: Evaluating the Performance of Standard Tests ”
Work in Progress:
- Team Work and Cooperative Behavior (with Takao Kato)
- Field Experiments on Common Goods in Kenya (with Yuta Masuda and Wei Zhang)
- Contrasting Preferences for Trust and Reciprocity between Spouses in Ethiopia (with Marc Bellemare and Chris Paul)
- Bargaining between Adult Children and their parents (with Tammy MacGavok)
- Endogenous Household formation in response to Systemic Shocks (with Benjamin Anderson)
- Time Allocation and Decision-Making Power in the Household (with Wei Zhang and Yuta Masuda)
- Political Role Models and Social Perceptions of Intimate Partner Violence in India
Fellowships, Honors, and Awards
- Mentor in the project “Structural Transformation of African Agriculture and Rural Spaces (STAARS)” (invited), 2016
- Included in list of most influential people at Colgate University by graduating class, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Torch Medal Recipient “In recognition of the positive impact and personal influence on a graduating member of the senior class" (4), 2014
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, AEDE Department, The Ohio State University 2012
- DeVries Memorial Fund Award 2010
- Edward J. Ray Travel Award 2010
- Honorable Mention to a Research Manuscript by a Second-Year PhD Student, 2008.
- Summer Research Grant, Colgate University (Faculty Sponsor, Ian Ettinger (PI)) June, 2015 – August, 2015
- Summer Research Grant, Colgate University (Faculty Sponsor, Elizabeth Mahoney (PI)) June, 2013 – August, 2013
- Major Grant, Colgate University (PI) June, 2013 – August 2014
- Summer Research Apprenticeship Funding, Colgate University (PI) June, 2012 – August, 2012
- Major Grant, Colgate University (PI) June, 2012 – June, 2013
- Alumni Grant for Graduate Research and Scholarship. (PI) July, 2010 – July, 2011