I am a development and behavioral economist with broad interests in gender and intra-household bargaining. For more information: check out my personal website
PhD. Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics, The Ohio State University, 2011
MS in Economics, Universidad de las Americas, Puebla, 2006
BS in Economics, Universidad de las Americas, Puebla, 2003
Microeconomics, behavioral economics, development economics, gender economics
Intra-household decision-making, development economics, gender economics, behavioral economics
Also see my personal website.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2019. "What’s Yours is Mine, and What’s Mine is Mine: Bargaining Power and Income Concealing between Spouses in India", Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 137, March: 125-140.
- Gebrehiwot, Tagel and Carolina Castilla. 2018. " Do safety net transfers improve diets and reduce undernutrition? Evidence from rural Ethiopia" Journal of Development Studies, Vol. 55 (9): 1947-1966.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2018. "Political Role Models and Child Marriage in India." Review of Development Economics, Vol. 22 (4): 1 – 23. Previously Circulated as: Political Role Models, Child Marriage, and Women’s Autonomy over Marriage in India. UNU-WIDER Working Paper 121/2017
- Castilla, Carolina. 2015 “Trust and Reciprocity between Spouses in India.” American Economic Review: P&P, 105 (5): 621 - 24.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Timothy Haab). 2015. “Asymmetric Search and Prospect Theory: Choice Experiment on Consumer Willingness to Search in the Gasoline Retail Market.” Applied Economics, Vol. 47 (8): 756 – 778.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Conor Coughlin, undergraduate student). 2014. “The Effect of Private High School Education on the College Trajectory.” Economics Letters. Vol. 125 (2): 200–203.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2014. “Field Experiment in a Course on Behavioral Economics: Nudging Students Around Campus.” Journal of Economic Education, 45 (3): 211-224.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Thomas Walker). 2013. “Is Ignorance Bliss? Gender Differences in the Effect of Asymmetric Information on Intra-Household Allocation.” American Economic Review: P&P, 103 (3): 263-268.
- Castilla, Carolina (with Timothy Haab). 2013. “Limited Attention to Search Costs in the Gasoline Retail Market: Evidence from a Choice Experiment on Consumer Willingness to Search.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 95 (1): 181-199.
- Castilla, Carolina. 2012. “Subjective Well-being and Reference Dependence: Insights from Mexico.” Journal of Economic Inequality, 10 (2): 219 - 238. Previously Circulated as: “Subjective Poverty and Reference Dependence: Income over Time, Aspirations and Reference Groups.” UNU-WIDER Working Paper 2010/76.
- Castilla, Carolina. (with Mariano Rojas). 2010. “Crisis Bancarias y Comportamiento Estrategico: Un Enfoque a Nivel Banco”. Administracion de Riesgos: Banca, mercados, empresa y modelos financieros. (Editor-reviewed article) Universidad Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM): 81 - 111
- Gender Differences in Intra-Household Efficiency: Evidence from an Investment Game between Spouses in India [under review]
- Inefficient Intra-Household Allocation under Asymmetric Information in Ghana (with Thomas Walker), [under review]
- A Participatory Method for Mapping Small Agricultural Plots with High Resolution Imagery (with Yuta Masuda, Jon Fisher, Wei Zhang, and Genowefa Blundo), [conditionally accepted, Journal of International Development]
- Spousal Communication and Intra-Household Allocation in Kenya (with Yuta Masuda and Wei Zhang)
- Ties that Bind: The Kin System as a Mechanism of Income-Hiding between Spouses in Rural Ghana. UNU-WIDER Working Paper 2013/007.
- Show me the Money: Intra-Household Allocation under Incomplete Information
Research with Undergraduate Students:
- Effect of Violence Prevention and Attention Units (UNIDADES) on Intimate Partner Violence in Dominican Republic (with Santa Ramirez)
- Taxes and Discounts: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Massachusetts (with Ian Ettinger)
- Political Role Models and Women Autonomy over Marriage and Fertility in India (with Gina Joseph)
- Castilla, Carolina. 2008. “Heteroskedasticity in Fixed-Effects One-way Error Component Models: Evaluating the Performance of Standard Tests ”
Work in Progress:
- Team Work and Cooperative Behavior (with Takao Kato)
- Field Experiments on Common Goods in Kenya (with Yuta Masuda and Wei Zhang)
- Contrasting Preferences for Trust and Reciprocity between Spouses in Ethiopia (with Marc Bellemare and Chris Paul)
- Bargaining between Adult Children and their parents (with Tammy MacGavok)
- Endogenous Household formation in response to Systemic Shocks (with Benjamin Anderson)
- Time Allocation and Decision-Making Power in the Household (with Wei Zhang and Yuta Masuda)
- Political Role Models and Social Perceptions of Intimate Partner Violence in India
Fellowships, Honors, and Awards
- Mentor in the project “Structural Transformation of African Agriculture and Rural Spaces (STAARS)” (invited), 2020
- Mentor in the project “Structural Transformation of African Agriculture and Rural Spaces (STAARS)” (invited), 2016
- Included in list of most influential people at Colgate University by graduating class, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Torch Medal Recipient “In recognition of the positive impact and personal influence on a graduating member of the senior class" (4), 2014
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, AEDE Department, The Ohio State University 2012
- DeVries Memorial Fund Award 2010
- Edward J. Ray Travel Award 2010
- Honorable Mention to a Research Manuscript by a Second-Year PhD Student, 2008.