PhD, Columbia University, 2007; MPhil, Columbia University, 2002; BA, Swarthmore College, 1995
Colgate University (2008-)
Postdoctoral fellow, Center for Global Thought, Columbia University (2007)
Anthropology of the Muslim World; cultures of the Middle East and North Africa; anthropology of modernity; media and communication studies
Middle East and North Africa; Islam; Modernity; Media and Communication; Social and Cultural Theory
Book Chapters and Articles
- “Rites of Reception: Trance, Technology, and National Belonging in Morocco.” In Trance Mediums and New Media: Spirit Possession in the Age of Technical Reproduction, edited by Heike Behrend, Martin Zillinger, and Anja Dreschke. Fordham University Press. Forthcoming, 2014.
- “Forgive Me Friend: Mohammed and Ibrahim.” In Encountering Morocco:Fieldwork and Cultural Understanding, edited by David Crawford and Rachel Newcomb. Public Cultures of the Middle East and North Africa. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. 2013
- “Our Master’s Call: Mass Media and ‘the People’ in Morocco’s 1975 Green March.” In Anthropology of the Middle East and North Africa: Into the New Millennium, edited by Susan Slyomovics and Sherine Hafez. Public Cultures of the Middle East and North Africa. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. 2013.
- “Forgive Me Friend: Mohammed and Ibrahim.” Anthropological Quarterly. Vol. 84, No. 3, Summer 2011, 737-756.
- “Writing cures: religious and communicative authority in late modern Morocco.” Journal of North African Studies. Vol. 14, No. 2, June 2009, 155-168.
- “The Scandal of Ecstasy: Communication, Sufi Rites, and Social Reform in 1930s Morocco,” Contemporary Islam: Dynamics of Muslim Life. Vol. 2, No. 2, July 2008, 119-138.
- “Mawlid,” Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern World, Oxford University Press, 2008. Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern World: (e-reference edition).
- “Jinn, Islam, and Media in Morocco.” In Yearbook of the Sociology of Islam V, edited by George Stauth and Armando Salvatore, 142-172. Hamburg: Lit, 2004.
“The Mass Sacred in Morocco”
- Fez, Morocco: brief research stints, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012
- Rabat, Morocco, Radio-Television Marocaine, Oct. - Dec. 2003
- Fez Medina, Morocco, Jan. - Sept. 2003
- New York City, Middle East Institute, Columbia University, Jan. - Dec. 2002
- Rabat, Morocco, Centre Cinematographique Marocain, Sept. 2000 - Aug. 2001
- Fez, Morocco, Agence pour la Dedensification et la Rehabilitation, Sept. - Dec. 1998
- Fund for Innovation in Study Abroad, Colgate University, 2013-14
- Arts Council Major Grant, Colgate University, 2013-14
- Research Council Grants, Colgate University, 2007 & 2008-2012
- Charlotte W. Newcombe Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson Foundation, 2005-2006
- Dissertation Fellowship, Columbia University, 2004-2005
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship, 2002-2003
- Fulbright IIE Research Fellowship (Declined), 2002-2003
- Faculty Fellowship, Columbia University, 1997-98 & 2001-2002
- International Predissertation Fellowship, Social Science Research Council, 2000-2001
- President’s Fellowship, Columbia University, 1998-1999
- Foreign Language Area Studies Summer Fellowship, Columbia University, 1998, 1999
- Scheps Research Fellowship, Department of Anthropology, Columbia University, 1998
Board Member, (AN Column Editor) AAA Middle East Studies Section, 2007-2009
Board Member (Student) AAA Middle East Studies Section, 2006-2007