BS, Penn State University, 2002; MA, Teachers College, Columbia University, 2004, PhD, Syracuse University, 2010
Political economy of public education; educational policy; social theory; philosophy and education
- Stern. M., & Johnston, D.K. "'I want to do Teach For America, not become a teacher,'" forthcoming in Critical Education: Special Edition on Teach For America.
- Stern, M., Clonan, S., Jaffee, L.*, & Lee, A.* "The Normative Limits of Choice: Charter Schools, Disability Studies, and Questions of Inclusion," forthcoming in Educational Policy.
- Stern, M. "Bad Teacher: What Race to the Top learned from the 'race to the bottom'," Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies 11.3 (2013); 194-229.
- Stern, M. "Love in a Time of Global Warming," Pre/Text: A Journal of Rhetorical Theory 22.1 (2013); 47-68.
- Stern, M. "'We Can't Build Our Dreams On Suspicious Minds': Neoliberalism, Educational Policy, and the Feelings Left Over," Cultural Studies <=> Critical Methodologies 12.5 (2012); 387-400.
- Stern, M. "Presence, Absence, and the Presently Absent: Ethics and the Pedagogical Possibilities of Photographs," Educational Studies 48:2 (2012); 174-198.
*Laura Jaffee '13 was an undergraduate research apprentice while co-authoring this paper. Anna Lee '11 was working toward her Master of Public of Public Policy in K-12 Education at Vanderbilt's Peabody College of Education and Human Development.
- "The Yid and the Yang: Christina in Search of Her Inner-Mensch." In Grace Under Pressure: Grey's Anatomy Uncovered, edited by Cynthia Burkhead and Hillary Robson. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008. With Kal Alston.
- "Is That a Solar Panel in Your Pocket? The Erotics of Environmentalism," Interview: Teacher Writers for a Public Voice (2008); 14-18.
Situating Relation in Photographic Exposure: Education, Ethics, and the Framing of Violence