If you are requesting a replacement diploma only as confirmation of graduation, you may be better served by requesting a degree verification letter
Often Colgate's diploma is not sufficient for confirmation of graduation as it is printed in Latin and only the graduation year appears. A degree verification letter can be provided with more critical information (dates of attendance, graduation date, etc.). Also, degree verification letters can be processed in 2-4 business days, whereas a replacement diploma will take several weeks. To obtain a replacement diploma, please print the replacement diploma request form
You must pay online for the replacement diploma by using Colgate's online payment system. Please click here
to make your payment. Your request and online payment must be received before your diploma order can be processed. The registrar's office will receive confirmation once your payment has been made.
- Standard fee is $35 (3-4 weeks for delivery)
- Rush-service fee is $55 (2-3 weeks for delivery)
Send your request directly to the Office of the Registrar:
Office of the Registrar
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346
(request must be scanned and attached)
Are you sending your records outside the country and need an apostille for your transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment? The sole function of the apostille is to certify the authenticity of the signature on the document.
How Do I Obtain an Apostille or Authentication?
You must request your official transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment from the Office of the Registrar and indicate you need an apostille. The registrar’s office will certify that the document is an official record of the original document and will have the document notarized by a Notary Public on campus. This may take 2-4 business days after the request is received. The document will then be mailed to Madison County Clerk's Office in Wampsville, N.Y., where the clerk is qualified to certify the signature of the Notary Public. Finally, the clerk’s office will mail the document back to the student. The document must then be presented by the student to the New York State Department of State for authentication.
In order to process your request, the registrar’s office at Colgate must receive:
- A brief note to the Madison County Clerk's office explaining what is needed, why it is being requested, and what country will be receiving it.
- The appropriate Colgate form and fee (if applicable). Note: If you have your diploma, you may make a photocopy and send the photocopy to the registrar's office, rather than requesting a replacement diploma.
- One (1) self-addressed stamped 8 ½ x 11 envelope. Note: Please affix two (2) stamps for a transcript and four (4) stamps for a diploma.
- A check ($3 per document) made payable to Madison County Clerk's Office. Note: U.S. currency is also acceptable. Foreign checks are not acceptable.
To complete the process, the transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment must be forwarded to the New York State Department of State for authentication. Once you receive your document from the Madison County Clerk’s Office, you will need to forward it to the Albany or New York City office of the New York State Department of State. Colgate University and the Madison County Clerk's office will not forward this document for you.
For address information and more information on this process, please visit the New York State Department of State’s website (dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html
If you have questions, please contact Colgate's student records assistant at 315-228-7408, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–noon or 1–4:30 p.m.