On campus: 51% of modified total direct costs (MTDC). Includes all direct costs except:
- Equipment (individual items with a useful life of at least one year and an acquisition cost ≥ $5,000);
- Building construction, alterations, and renovations;
- Student stipends during the academic year;
- Student tuition remission / financial aid / scholarships;
- Space rental;
- The portion of each subaward (to another entity) in excess of $25,000.
Common budget items included in MTDC are:
- Salaries and wages for faculty, staff, and postdocs; and for students during the summer;
- Fringe benefits;
- Services and consultants;
- Supplies and materials;
- The first $25,000 of each subaward to another entity.
Off campus rate: 20% of modified total direct costs (exclusions above). This rate is used for projects performed in facilities not owned by Colgate and to which rent is directly allocated to the grant, if more than 50% of the project is performed off-campus.
These rates are in effect through June 30, 2018.