Select Articles in Refereed Journals
- “Human Capital and Career Success: Evidence from Linked Employer-Employee Data,” (Economic Journal, forthcoming, with Anders Frederiksen).
- “The Effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on Gender Diversity in the Workplace: Econometric Evidence from Japan,” forthcoming in British Journal of Industrial Relations (with Naomi Kodama)
- “Long-term Employment and Job Security over the Last Twenty-Five Years: A Comparative Study of Japan and the U.S.,” (Industrial and Labor Relations Review, forthcoming, with Ryo Kambayashi).
- “Complementarities between Employee Involvement and Financial Participation: Do Institutional Context, Differing Measures, and Empirical Methods Matter?” (Industrial and Labor Relations Review, forthcoming, with Derek D. Jones, Panu Kalmi, and Mikko Makinen).
- “Incremental Innovation and Competitive Pressure in the Presence of Discrete Innovation,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. Vol. 135, March 2017, Pages 1–14 (with Arghya Ghosh, and Hodaka Morita).
- “Competition and Social Identity in the Workplace: Evidence from a Chinese Textile Firm,” (Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 2016, with Pian Shu).
- “Efficiency in Employee-Owned Enterprises: an Econometric Case Study of Mondragon,” (Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2015, with Saioa Arando, Monica Gago, and Derek C. Jones).
- “Quotas and Quality: The Effect of H-1B Visa Restrictions on the Pool of Prospective Undergraduate Students from Abroad,” (Review of Economics and Statistics, 2013, with Chad Sparber)
- "Adverse Workplace Conditions, High-Involvement Work Practices and Labor Turnover: Evidence from Danish Linked Employer-Employee Data," (Labour Economics, 2012, with Elena Cottini and Niels Westergaard Nielsen)
- “Market Characteristics, Intra-Firm Coordination, and the Choice of Human Resource Management Systems: Evidence from New Japanese Data," (Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2012, with Hideo Owan)
- “The Impact of Teams on Output, Quality and Downtime: An Empirical Analysis Using Individual Panel Data,” (Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2011, with Derek Jones).
- “High Performance Work Practices and Employee Voice: A Comparison of Japanese and Korean Workers,” (Industrial Relations, 2011, with Kiu-Sik Bae, Hiroyuki Chuma, Dong-Bae Kim, and Isao Ohashi).
- “Tournaments and Managerial Incentives in China’s Listed Firms: New Evidence,” (China Economic Review, 2011, with Cheryl Long).
- "Executive Turnover and Firm Performance in China," (American Economic Review (P&P), 2006, with Cheryl Long)
- "Executive Compensation, Firm Performance, and Corporate Governance in China: Evidence from Firms Listed in the Shanghai and Shenzen Stock Exchanges," (Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2006, with Cheryl Long)
- "The Productivity Effects of Participatory Employment Practices: Evidence from New Japanese Panel Data" (Industrial Relations, 2002, with Motohiro Morishima)
- "The End of 'Lifetime Employment' In Japan?: Evidence from National Surveys and Field Research" (Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 2001)
- "Chief Executive Compensation and Corporate Groups in Japan: New Evidence from Micro Data" (International Journal of Industrial Organization, 1997)
- "The Nature and the Determinants of Labor Market Transitions in Former Communist Economies: Evidence from Bulgaria" (Industrial Relations, 1997, with Derek Jones)
- "The Productivity Effects of Employee Stock Ownership Plans and Bonuses: Evidence from Japanese Panel Data" (American Economic Review, 1995, with Derek Jones)
Other articles in Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations, Journal of Comparative Economics, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Economic Inquiry, Economics Letters, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Labour Economics, British Journal of Industrial Relations, Japan and the World Economy, International Journal of Human Resource Management, International Review of Economics and Finance, International Journal of Manpower, Ricerche Economiche, International Economic Journal, Japanese Journal of Labor Studies, and other refereed journals.
Edited Volume and Recent Book Chapters
- The Determinants of the Incidence and the Effects of Participatory Organizations, Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms Volume 7 (Elsevier/JAI, 2003)
- “High-Involvement Work Systems in Japan, the U.S. and Korea: Evidence from Field Research,” in Jaime Ortega, ed., Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms, International Perspectives on Participation: Decision Rights and Incentives, Volume 15 (Bingley: Emerald), 2014, pp. 95-119
- “Assessing Mondragon: Stability and Managed Change in the face of Globalization,” in Carberry, Edward, ed., Employee Ownership and Shared Capitalism: New Directions in Research (ILR Press: Ithaca), 2011, pp. 241-271 (with Saioa Arando, Fred Freundlich, Monica Gago, and Derek C. Jones)
- “The Japanese Employment System after the Bubble Burst: New Evidence,” in Koichi Hamada, Anil Kashyap, Masahiro Kuroda, and David Weinstein, eds., Japan’s Bubble, Deflation, and Stagnation (MIT Press: Cambridge), 2011, pp. 217-262 (with Ryo Kambayashi).
- “The Productivity Effects of Profit Sharing, Employee Ownership, Stock Option, and Team Incentives: Evidence from Korean Panel Data,” in Tor Eriksson, ed., Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms Volume 11 (Emerald: Bingley), 2010, pp. 111-136 (with Ju Ho Lee and Jang-Soo Ryu).
- “Managerial Discretion, Business Strategy, and the Quality of Jobs: Evidence from Medium-Sized Manufacturing Establishments in Central New York,” in Eileen Appelbaum, Annette Bernhardt, and Richard Murnane, eds., Low-Wage America: How Employers are Reshaping Opportunity in the Workplace (Russell Sage Foundation: New York), 2003, pp. 479-526 (with Derek Jones and Adam Weinberg).
- "The Recent Transformation of Participatory Employment Practices in Japan," in Seiritsu Ogura, Toshiaki Tachibanaki, and David Wise, eds., NBER Conference Report Labor Markets and Firm Benefit Policies in Japan and the United States (University of Chicago Press: Chicago), 2003, pp. 39-80 (a longer version of the paper is available in NBER Working Paper W7965).