Research in my laboratory is focused on the elucidation of the structure and catalytic mechanism of enzymes. A summary of ongoing investigations in our laboratory is summarized on the research group page of our laboratory wiki. The laboratory wiki also contains two research resource guides in protein engineering and in protein X-ray crystallography, two techniques our laboratory uses extensively. Please consult these resources for additional details.
BS (Biochemistry), University of Alabama, 1976; PhD (Chemistry), University of Alabama, 1981
Biophysical chemistry: enzyme kinetics, X-ray crystallography, protein engineering
Teaching interests: biochemistry, analytical chemistry, general chemistry
Research interests: enzymology, the isolation, purification, and characterization of enzymes, especially experimental kinetics; protein engineering, the specific alteration of enzyme structure using recombinant DNA methods; X-ray crystallography, the determination of three-dimensional protein structures from X-ray diffraction by single protein crystals.
Asterisks indicate undergraduate student co-authors who conducted their research in collaboration with a faculty member at Colgate.
- Charlotte de Araujo, Dewan Arefeen, Yohannes Tadesse, Benedict M. Long, G. Dean Price, Roger S. Rowlett, Matthew S. Kimber and George S. Espie, "Identification and characterization of a carboxysomal gamma-carbonic anhydrase from the cyanobacterium Nostoc sp. PCC 7120," Photosynth. Research 2014, in press.
- Margaret M. Suhanovsky, Kelly Sheppard, and Roger S. Rowlett (2014) “Beta-carbonic anhydrases: general features and medical implications,” in Carbonic Anhydrases as Biocatalysts: from Theory to Medical to Industrial Applications, G. De Simone and C. T. Supuran, eds., in press.
- Roger S. Rowlett (2013) "Structure and Catalytic Mechanism of the ß-Carbonic Anhydrases," in Carbonic Anhydrase: Mechanism, Regulation, Links to Disease, and Industrial Applications, Susan Frost & Rob McKenna, eds., Springer-Verlag, in press.
- Roger S. Rowlett, (2013) “Research Grants and Grantsmanship,” in How to Get Started in STEM Research with Undergraduates, Merle Schuh, ed., Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington DC.
- Roger S. Rowlett, (2013) “Training and Information Management in the Undergraduate Research Laboratory,” in How to Get Started in STEM Research with Undergraduates, Merle Schuh, ed., Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Linda Blockus, and Susan Larson (2012) "Characteristics of Excellence in Undergraduate Research (COEUR)", in Characteristics of Excellence in Undergraduate Research, Nancy Hensel, ed., Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC.
- Virginia A. Kincaid, Eric D. Sullivan, Roger D. Klein, Roger S. Rowlett, and Mark J. Snider§, “Structure and Catalytic Mechanism of Vitamin B3 Degradative Enzyme Maleamate Amidohydrolase from Bordetella Bronchiseptica RB50,” Biochemistry 2012, 51, 545-554.
- Katherine M. Hoffmann, Dejan Samardzic*, Katherine van den Heever*, and Roger S. Rowlett,§, "Co(II)-substituted Haemophilus influenzae β-carbonic anhydrase: spectral evidence for allosteric regulation by pH and bicarbonate ion," Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 2011, 511, 80-87.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Katherine M. Hoffmann, Hannah Failing*, Margaret Mysliwiec*, and Dejan Samardzic*, "Evidence for a Bicarbonate 'Escort' Site in Haemophilus influenzae β-Carbonic Anhydrase," Biochemistry, 2010, 49, 3640-3647.
- Sarah L. Binkley, Christopher J. Ziegler, Richard S. Herrick, and Roger S. Rowlett, “Specific Derivitization of Lysozyme in Aqueous Solution with a Rhenium(I) Tricarbonyl Fragment,” Chem. Comm., 2010, 46, 1203-1205. (Inside cover article)
- Roger S. Rowlett, "Structure and Catalytic Mechanism of the ß-Carbonic Anhydrases," Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 2010, 1804, 362-373.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Chingkuang Tu, Joseph Lee*, Ariel G. Herman*, Douglas A. Chapnick*, Shalini H. Shah*, and Peter C. Gareiss*, “Allosteric Site Variants of Haemophilus influenzae ß-Carbonic Anhydrase,” Biochemistry, 2009, 48, 6146-6156.
- Jeff D. Cronk, Roger S. Rowlett, Kam Y. J. Zhang, Chingkuang Tu, James A. Endrizzi, Joseph Lee,* Peter C. Gareiss,* and Jeffrey R. Preiss,* "Identification of a novel non-catalytic bicarbonate binding site in eubacterial ß-carbonic anhydrase," Biochemistry, 2006, 4351-4361.
- Daniel Clark, Roger S. Rowlett, John R. Coleman, and Daniel F. Klessig, "Complementation of the yeast deletion mutant del-NCE103 by members of the ß class of carbonic anhydrases is dependent on carbonic anhydrase activity rather than on antioxidant activity," Biochem. J., 2004, 379, 609-615.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Chingkuang Tu, Paul S. Murray,* and Joy E. Chamberlin,* "Examination of the role of Gln-158 in the Mechanism of CO2 Hydration Catalyzed by ß-Carbonic Anhydrase from Arabidopsis thaliana," Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 2004, 425, 25-32. (Cover article)
- Roger S. Rowlett, “Elements of a Competitive NIH-AREA proposal,” Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 2004, 24, 120-124.
- Chingkuang Tu, Roger S. Rowlett, Brian C. Tripp, James G. Ferry, and David N. Silverman, "Chemical Rescue of Proton Transfer in Catalysis by Carbonic Anhydrases in the ß- and ?-Class," Biochemistry, 2002, 41, 15429-15435.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Chingkuang Tu, Melissa M. McKay,* Jeffrey R. Preiss,* Rebecca J. Loomis,* Katherine A. Hicks,* Robb J. Marchione,* Jacob A. Strong,* George S. Donovan, Jr.,* and Joy E. Chamberlin,* "Kinetic Characterization of Wild-Type and Proton Transfer-Impaired Variants of ß-Carbonic Anhydrase from Arabidopsis thaliana," Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 2002, 404, 197-209.
- Kwang-Hwan Jhee, Li-Hong Yang, S. Ashraf Ahmed, Peter McPhie, Roger Rowlett, and Edith Wilson Miles, "Mutation of an Active Site Residue of Tryptophan Synthase ßS377 Alters Cofactor Chemistry," J. Biol. Chem., 1998, 273, 11417-11422.
- C. Larry Bering, Jennifer S. Kuhns, and Roger S. Rowlett, "Purification of Bovine Carbonic Anhydrase by Affinity Chromatography: An Undergraduate Biochemistry Laboratory Experiment," J. Chem. Ed., 1998, 75, 1021-1024.
- Roger Rowlett, Lihong Yang, S. Ashraf Ahmed, Peter McPhie, Kwang-Hwan Jhee, and Edith W. Miles, "Mutations in the Contact Region between the a and ß Subunits of Tryptophan Synthase alter Subunit Interaction and Intersubunit Communication," Biochemistry, 1998, 37, 2961-2968.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Mark R. Chance, Michael D. Wirt, Dean E. Sidelinger, Jill R. Royal,* Melanie Woodroffe,* Ying-Fuh A. Wang,* Rajib P. Saha,* and Michael G. Lam*, "Kinetic and Structural Characterization of Spinach Carbonic Anhydrase," Biochemistry, 1994, 33, 13967-13976.
- Elected President of Council on Undergraduate Research; will serve as President-Elect (2014-2015), President (2015-2016), and Past President (2016-2017)
- Recipient (with co-PIs Rich April, Randall Fuller, and Catherine Cardelus) of National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation Grant, "Acquisition of a TXRF spectrometer for Research in Chemistry, Biology, and Geology," 2014-2017 ($102,740).
- Recipient of National Science Foundation Research Grant, "Structural Biology and Mechanism of Intersubunit (Allosteric) Communication in Haemophilus influenzae β-Carbonic Anhydrase," 2012-2015 ($406,473)
- Recipient (co-PI with Ernie Nolen, Germaine Gogel, Quang Shen, and Ephraim Woods) of National Science Foundation Research Grant, "Department of Chemistry Laboratory Renovation in Support of Faculty-Student Research," 2010-2012 ($795,560)
- Recipient of National Science Foundation Research Grant, "Structural and Functional Investigations of a Novel Allosteric Regulatory Mechanism in beta-Carbonic Anhydrase," 2008-2011 ($301,486)
- Recipient (with A. Chianese, G. Geier, co-principal investigators) of National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation Grant, "Acquisition of a Gemini R Ultra X-ray Diffractometer for Structural Biology and Chemistry," 2008-2011 ($410,700)
- Colgate University Presidential Scholar, 2007-2009
- Member of the New York Academy of Sciences, American Chemical Society; Phi Beta Kappa
- Councilor, Council on Undergraduate Research; Chair-elect, Chemistry Division
- Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor, 2011-
- Colgate University Presidential Scholar, 2007-2009
- President-Elect, Council on Undergraduate Research, 2014-2015 (will serve as President, 2015-2016)
- Councilor, Council on Undergraduate Research, 2003-
- Chair, Program Review Committee, 2011-2014
- Chair, Division of Chemistry, Member of CUR Executive Committee, 2009-2011
- Member, Nominations Vetting Committee, 2008-2010
- Chair-elect, Division of Chemistry, 2007-2009
- Chemistry Consulting Liaison, 2003-2010
- Special volunteer, Section on Molecular Structure, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institute of Health, 2002-2003;
- Special volunteer, Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health 1996-97
- Coordinator of Undergraduate Research, 1994-1996, Colgate University
- Department Chair (1990-1993, 1998, 2001, 2003-2006)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pharmacology, University of Florida College of Medicine 1981-82
- U.S. Curling Association Certified Level II Instructor (Utica Curling Club)
Colgate University Curling Club Instructor/Coach