- PhD in History, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- MA in History, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- BA in History, Columbia University, New York, NY
- American Elections and Party Power, Fall 2017
- The Presidency and Executive Leadership, Fall 2017
Hamilton College (2014-2015, 2016-2017)
Wesleyan University (2015-2016)
The Polarizers: Postwar Architects of Our Partisan Era (University of Chicago Press, 2018).
“Fed by Reform: Congressional Politics, Partisan Change, and the Food Stamp Program, 1961-1981.” Journal of Policy History 22.4 (2010): 474-507.
Works in Progress
“The Hollow Parties” (working paper with Daniel Schlozman).
“A Mix of Motives: The Georgia Delegation Challenge to the 1968 Democratic Convention and the Dynamics of Intraparty Conflict” (working paper with Nancy Schwartz).
“The Declinist Era in Party Scholarship: An Intellectual History” (working paper).
“Party Architects: Liberal Origins of Modern Party Polarization” (working paper).
Selected Other Publications
“There’s No Going Back,” review of The Great Exception by Jefferson Cowie, Democracy: A Journal of Ideas (Spring 2016).
“Should Liberals Back Public Sector Unions?,” review of Government Against Itself by Daniel DiSalvo and Bring Back the Bureaucrats by John DiIulio. The American Prospect (Summer 2015). With Jake Rosenfeld.
“Smooth Operator,” review of The Whole Damn Deal by Kathryn McGarr. The American Prospect (September 2011).
“A Long-Distance Runner,” review of Citizen Rauh by Michael E. Parrish. The American Prospect (December 2010).
“Frustrated by His Own Party,” review of Roosevelt's Purge by Susan Dunn. The American Prospect (November 2010).
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Whiting Fellowship in the Humanities, 2012
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Foundation Moody Grant, 2012
- Charles Warren Center Term-Time Dissertation Research Grant, 2011
- Harry S. Truman Library Institute Research Grant, 2010
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation Research Travel Grant, 2010
- Center for American Political Studies Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2010