BA (Mod), University of Dublin, Trinity College, 1987; MA, The Ohio State University, 1989; PhD, Brown University, 1996
- American Publishers Awards for Professional and Scholarly Excellence (PROSE): Honorable mention in European and world history for Orderly and Humane, 2012
- Included in the Princeton Review's The Best 300 Professors, 2012
Modern Britain and Ireland; 20th-century Europe
- Orderly and Humane: The Expulsion of the Germans after the Second World War (2012). -- One of the 15 best books published in 2012 according to The Atlantic
- Architects of the Resurrection: Ailtirí na hAiséirghe and the Fascist 'New Order' in Ireland (2009).
- Imperialism on Trial: International Oversight of Colonial Rule in Historical Perspective [R.M. Douglas, M.D. Callahan & E.A. Bishop, eds.] (2006)
- The Labour Party, Nationalism and Internationalism, 1939-1951 (2004).
- Feminist Freikorps: The British Voluntary Women Police, 1914-1940 (1999).
- Articles in Albion, Contemporary British History; Daedalus; Ethnic and Racial Studies; Historical Journal; Journal of Modern History; Politics, Religion & Ideology.