DegreesUniversity of Rochester, Rochester NY
PhD in Political Science, October 2010
MA in Political Science, October 2007
Lawrence University, Appleton WI
BA in Economics and Government with Honors, June 2004
Developing countries, international relations, international political economies, methods, military intervention, protest behavior, quantitative approaches, refugees, South Asia
POSC 364: Politics of India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan
POSC 349: International Political Economy
POSC 454: The Cold War and After
POSC 232: Fundamentals of International Relations
Professional Experience Colgate University, Hamilton NY
Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, June 2016 - present
Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, October 2010 - June 2016
Instructor, Department of Political Science, July 2009 – September 2010
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Visiting Fellow, School of International Studies, August 2012 – May 2013
The Politics of Refugees in South Asia: Identity, Resistance, Manipulation. New York and London: Routledge (2013; paperback: fall 2015).
- “Assam and the Foreigner Within: Illegal Bangladeshis or Bengali Muslims?” Asian Survey: 56 (3), 581-604 (2016).
- “Intergenerational Transmission of Marital Violence: Results from a Nationally Representative Sample of Men” (with N.S. Murshid). Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 0886260515604413 (2015).
- “Refugee-Camp Militarization in Bangladesh and Thailand.” Economic and Political Weekly: 47(47-48): 103-108 (2012).
- “India’s Role in Bangladesh’s War of Independence, 1971: Humanitarianism or Self-Interest?” Economic and Political Weekly: 46(52): 53-60 (2011).
- “The Dynamics of Refugee-related Violence in South Asia.” Journal of Bangladesh Studies: 12(2): 6-20 (2010).
Articles in Edited Volumes
- “Genocide of 1971 and the Politics of Justice” in Routledge Handbook on Contemporary Bangladesh. Eds. Ali Riaz and Mohammad Sajjadur Rahman. London and New York: Routledge (2016).
- “Refugee Experience to Political Attitudes: Preliminary Findings” in Governance at Crossroads: Insights from Bangladesh. Eds. Salauddin M. Aminuzzaman, Rizwan Khair, and Ipshita Basu. Dhaka: BRAC University (2014): 245-274.
Articles in Popular Media
- Stateless and Left out at Sea. The Hindu. June 3, 2015. http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/rohingya-migrants-and-ethnicitybased/article7275533.ece
- Bengali Muslims in India: Bangladeshis until proven otherwise? BD News 24: Opinion. May 4, 2014 http://opinion.bdnews24.com/2014/05/04/bengali-muslims-in-india-bangladeshis-until-proven-otherwise/
- The Rohingya in Regional Politics. Kathakata. May 3, 2014. http://kathakata.com/archives/1260
- Migrant Stories. Kathakata. November 27, 2013. http://kathakata.com/archives/1045
- Nanu’s Songs. Alal O Dulal. December 11, 2013. http://alalodulal.org/2013/12/11/nanus-songs/
- Savar Tragedy: Solution in Solidarity. Kafila. May 7, 2013 http://kafila.org/2013/05/07/savar-tragedy-solution-in-solidarity-navine-murshid/
- Lessons from Delhi and Dhaka. Kafila. February 14, 2012 (with Nagesh Rao) http://kafila.org/2013/02/14/lessons-from-delhi-and-dhaka-nagesh-rao-and-navine-murshid/
- Rohingya Crisis: Time for a New Beginning. The Daily Star. August 7, 2012. http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=245074
- Hartals make Sense? New Age Bangladesh. September 27, 2011 http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/archive_details.php?date=2011-09-27&nid=34778
- Colgate India Blog: Reflections from India (contributor) http://colgate-india-core.blogspot.com/