Summer 2015 Classes and Outings
To sign up for an outing or class contact Outdoor Education at 315-228-7972 or email@example.com
. Course fees are due at signup and are non-refundable. Payments can be made with cash, check, credit card or gatecard. Group sizes are limited. All children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All outings and classes meet at Base Camp.
- Classes meet for several days and are sequential!
- Classes yield PE credit if all classes are attended!
- Backyard Adventures are one-time outings and do not Yield PE credit
Summer PE Classes
Outdoor Rock Climbing Class: $30
This introduction to rock climbing will get you well on your way to becoming the local super hero on the cliff. Develop a skill set of knots, rope handling and movement on vertical terrain. Learn the basics of safe climbing and hone your technique as you finesse your way up the wall! The first two classes are at the climbing wall and the outing is to Little Falls, NY.
Mountain Biking Class: $20 without rental and $50 with rental
- Class 1: Wednesday, 6/10, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Class 2: Friday, 6/12, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Outing: Saturday, 6/13 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (Lunch and snacks included)
Looking to burn off a little steam? Grab a bike and ride! Learn to conquer dirt roads as well as Colgate’s double and single track trails. Explore the woods in lo or high gear while crankin’ up or crusin’ down hills and pausing at scenic overlooks. Throughout the course you will learn essential skills such as: riding techniques, basic bike maintenance, leave no trace practices, and dressing for the outdoors. Note: Participants must provide their own mountain bike and helmet or pay to rent them. No prior experience necessary.
Tree Climbing Class: $20
- Class 1: Wednesday, 6/17, 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Class 2: Wednesday, 6/24, 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Class 3: Friday, 6/26, 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Whether an adrenaline junkie, nature lover or kid at heart, tree climbing is the place for you! You will learn how to use a ten foot tall sling shot to rig trees, use ascenders to get into the canopy and other techniques to move within the tree. You might even be able to ride a Tyrolean Traverse between trees- yahoo! All climbing will take place in the Hamilton area.
- Class 1: Monday, 7/20, 4:30 – 7:30pm
- Class 2: Wednesday, 7/22, 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Class 3: Friday, 7/24, 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Backyard Adventures (These do not qualify for PE credit)
Stand-Up Paddle Boarding: $20
Learn the ways of balance and grace through this increasingly popular mode of aquatic transportation. You will have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of proper a stance and stroke while enjoying beautiful southern adirondack scenery.
Nine Mile Creek Outing: $15
- Outing: Saturday, 6/27, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. (Lunch and snacks included)
Join two of our Outdoor Educators for a relaxing ride down Nine Mile Creek. Once a hide out and loot storage area for the notorious Loomis Gang, today the creek serves as a nice place to paddle with friends and/or family. No prior boating knowledge or equipment required.
- Outing: Friday, 7/17, 1 – 5 p.m.
Tree Climbing: $15
Come out for a fun-filled day, packed with a variety of tree-climbing activities! You will have the chance to relax and climb some limbs, or challenge yourself to gain elevation using ascenders, in accordance with the arborist’s trade. Regardless of what you decide, you will be treated with a different perspective on your surroundings; things certainly look different when you are up in the leaves!
- Outing: Friday, 7/10, 1 – 4 p.m.