Out & About: Newsletter for the Colgate Community and Alumni
We invite you to read our most recent Out & About
from Spring, 2018.
In this edition:
- Letters from the Directors of LGBTQ Initiatives and LGBTQ Studies
- Upcoming Spring events such as the Queerfest Extravaganza
- ProfessorKen Valente shares reflects on 25 years of LGBTQ Studies
Learn more about the history of LGBTQ Initiatives by exploring our newsletter archives
This training — open to faculty, staff, and students — aims to create a supportive campus climate by encouraging conversation around gender identity and sexual orientation, homophobia, heterosexism, and various oppressions. By educating members of the campus community about current LGBTQ+-related issues, members of the campus community can be more prepared to provide support and resources on LGBTQ+ and Ally concerns. Any person or group can request a Safe Zone training: firstname.lastname@example.org
Trans & Gender Non-Conforming Resources
Colgate works hard to improve services and programs that promote awareness and access for all of our students across the gender spectrum. Some of our most recent developments:
- You can now indicate whether you wish for your preferred first name (rather than your legal name) to be included in Colgate's online web directory. Log on to the Colgate Portal now!
- The Closet is a program that provides a low/no cost option for individuals to alter their wardrobe to better match their gender identity. It not only aims to provide a collection of donated outerwear for any occasion but also offers the option for undergarments be discretely purchased on your behalf. To learn more or to make an appointment for access to the space, email email@example.com.
- Students, staff, and faculty can now share their personal gender pronouns in BANNER, the school's data system. Once entered through the Colgate Portal, your pronouns will appear along with your name on professors' course rosters and administrative dean web-based dashboards.
- Download this handy resource: a foldable table tent Guide to Personal Gender Pronouns to display on your desk or personal workspace.
- Further information, including what a personal gender pronoun is, how to add or change your pronoun, and other trans and non-binary resources at Colgate, can be found on our Trans@Colgate page.