About Chapel House at Colgate University Skip Navigation

About Chapel House

Chapel House is a place for seeking deeper religious insight by people of all faiths, and by those who acknowledge no religious faith.
Chapel House covered in a fresh snow

Origins

In 1959, Chapel House was built on the Colgate campus with a gift from a donor who asked that her identity never be revealed.


Mission and Vision Statements

The advisory committee of Chapel House is seeking feedback from all who feel a connection to Chapel House on a draft vision statement. Follow the link below to see an excerpt from Chapel House's original deed of gift, as well as to review and comment on the vision statement draft.

REVIEW AND COMMENT


Administration

Chapel House belongs to and is administered by Colgate University. It operates on endowment funds, which must cover expenses without requiring any help from other university funds.

Additional gifts toward its programs are welcome, but they must be anonymous, in keeping with the pattern set by the original donor.

Architecture

Chapel House opened its doors in 1959. The space was designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, and is an example of late international-style modernism.