English professor Jennifer Brice
and faculty colleagues lead explorations into the work of nine exciting writers.
This fall's line-up features memoirs by three Colgate alumni: Mel Watkins ’62, Bill Barich ’65, and Mary Anna King ’04. The memoir Just Kids
is legendary "punk poet laureate" Patti Smith's first book of prose. We've also got short stories by Viet Thanh Nguyen, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for The Sympathizer
, and by Carmen Maria Machado and Nana K. Adjei-Brenyah. If novels are your thing, check out Claire of the Sea Light
by Edwidge Danticat and The Happiest People in the World
by Brock Clarke.
Read one book, or all nine. Take part in one discussion, in all activities — or anywhere in between.
- Videos and podcasts of Colgate professors talking about the books
- Online book discussions with other LWO participants
- Selected reading list of reviews, interviews, and articles
- Thursday-afternoon author events on campus (open to the public) and via Livestream
- Live events will be archived online