We believe strongly in recognizing outstanding work done by our students. Each year we recognize students doing exceptional work in the geography discipline with several different recognitions. The Peter Gould Award in Geography
: Awarded by the department to a senior geography major who has enriched the geography community through exemplary leadership, service, and achievement. The Shannon McCune Prize in Geography
: Awarded by the department to the senior geography major who has been judged by the department's faculty to demonstrate outstanding academic merit and promise.
We are home to the Epsilon Psi chapter of the international geography honor society Gamma Theta Upsilon
. To become a member of this prestigious society you must meet strict academic requirements and share a background and interest in the geography field.
Our goals include:
- Furthering professional interest in geography
- Strengthening student and professional training through academic experiences outside the formal classroom and laboratory
- Advancing the status of Geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation
- Encouraging student research and to promote an outlet for publication
- Raising and administering funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in geography
- Encouraging members to apply geographic knowledge and skills in service to humankind
Our members receive scholarship, research, internship, networking opportunities in association with our affiliated alumni organization Omega Omega