Get information about student departure from campus at the conclusion of the spring 2021 semester.
All University policies apply at all times and will be enforced during the move-out process. This includes 24-hour quiet hours in effect May 4–8. Please be respectful of your peers and their academic pursuits.
Community Leaders (CLs) will be holding floor meetings to provide all students with the information needed for closing and departure. Students should make it a priority to attend these meetings. In addition, the Office of Residential Life will soon be hanging a closing instruction sign on each student's door. Students should read this information thoroughly, and sign it when you departing campus.
All residents, unless a graduating senior, must vacate their room 24 hours after their last final exam (unless given prior approval from Residential Life).
Residents will be able to sign-up for check-out times with their CLs during the following dates and times (dependent upon CL availability):
- Saturday, May 1: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 2: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 3: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 4: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 5: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 6: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 7: 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 8: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Those needing to check out outside of the designated dates and hours should make special arrangements with their CL.
Check-out Registration Deadline
Residents are asked to confirm their departure plans and schedule a check-out time with their CL no later than Tuesday, April 20.
Residence Hall Closure
|Students||Residence Hall Closure|
|All students who are not graduating seniors or summer residents||Residence halls close at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 8|
|Graduating seniors||Graduating seniors participating in the commencement ceremony are permitted to remain in residence halls until Sunday, May 9, at 8:00 p.m.|
|Summer residents||Students who will remain in residence through the summer will complete the check-out process and move to their summer residence on May 14|
All students are asked to complete the following before departing campus:
- Schedule check-out with your Community Leader (CL).
- Remove all personal belongings (TVs, refrigerators, luggage, personal items, clothing, personal furniture) from your room and nearby common areas. Your room must be clean and empty for inspection to occur.
- Thoroughly clean your space (vacuum, mop, remove trash, food, recycling)
- During your scheduled check-out walk-through, complete your room condition report (RCR) with your CL.
- Either return your key to your CL, or if instructed, directly to the Area Director. Keys should not be left in your room. Failure to return your key properly will result in a $150 rekey fee that will be assessed to your student account.
Items of Note
- Items left behind will be considered abandoned property after 30 days and will be discarded accordingly.
- Failure to complete a check-out will result in an improper checkout fee of $75 that will be assessed to your student account. Additional fees may be assessed for staff time to rectify the incomplete items (cleaning, trash removal, etc.).
- Any damage found in the course of an improper checkout will not be eligible for appeal.
- All keys must be returned before departing campus. Keys may not be mailed in for any reason.
One guest or family member per student is permitted to enter student residences to assist with the move-out process. This permission is subject to change based on the University's Gate status at the time of departure.
Students are encouraged to utilize peer assistance as much as possible with move-out within the Gate guidelines in order to de-densify residences as much as possible throughout the week.
Any resident wishing to store items over the summer must coordinate with an external vendor, unless OISS or OUS has provided and coordinated use of their storage spaces for the resident.
- For all storage vendors, residents must coordinate a date and time for the vendor to pick-up items prior to the resident’s departure from campus.
- Residents must bring their items for storage to the door of the building. Vendors will not be permitted into the residential buildings.
Any resident that needs to mail items home must do so prior to the resident’s departure from campus. For convenience, residents may utilize campus mail services to complete this task.
Students Residing in Summer Housing
For students who will reside in summer housing, these check-out procedures apply on your move date, which is tentatively May 14.
Approval to stay beyond the regular residence hall closing dates of May 8, 2021 (all students) or May 9 (graduating seniors) is granted only to students who are participating in an approved program that requires their presence on campus beyond the closing of the residence facilities. Late stay approval will be considered only for students who are:
- Summer housing residents,
- On an approved athletic team,
- In an approved Colgate program,
- Extenuating circumstances.
Apply for a Late Stay
If you are required to stay beyond closing, please complete a late stay application via the housing portal prior to Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 11:55 p.m. The Office of Residential Life will verify your reason for requesting late stay with the faculty member, program director, or coach who is requiring your presence on campus.
If you wish to have your application reviewed, please be sure that you click Submit and not Save as draft. Applications that are in draft form will not be reviewed.
The late stay application is due by April 20, 2021 at 11:55 p.m.
Impacted and Reduced Services During Late Stays
- On-campus services will be significantly reduced, including but not limited to shuttle service, dining and mail services.
- The Facilities Department will be completing work projects during this time period, which may require residential facilities to be impacted with the loss of water, electricity, heat, etc. When possible, advance notice will be given. Facilities employees also may be entering residential spaces to complete projects. Facilities employees will knock and identify themselves before entering those spaces.
- For maintenance emergencies after hours, please call 315-228-7468. If your call goes to voicemail, please leave a message as the voicemail is continuously monitored.
- All residential life and university policies still apply. Any resident found in violation of policy will be held accountable.