FAQ - Colgate University Skip Navigation

Student Health FAQs

What services are available for chronic health problems?
Depending on your needs, the Student Health Center is one of many offices on campus that can assist you. A phone call to one of these offices can get you started:
Where can I get prescriptions filled?
The nearest pharmacies are:

Kinney Drugs
103 Utica Street
Hamilton, NY 

Dougherty Pharmacy
1017 Madison Marketplace
Hamilton, NY 

Dougherty Pharmacy
14 East Main Street
Morrisville, NY 

Service Pharmacy
6 North Main Street
Sherburne, NY

268 Sanger Avenue
Waterville, NY

Rite Aid
95 Nelson Street
Cazenovia, NY

2024 Genesee Street
Oneida, NY

** For your convenience, with an established account, Kinney Drugs and Dougherty Pharmacy will deliver your prescription for pick up at the Colgate Student Health Center.
What if I'm too sick to go to class or take a test?
If you will be missing only one or two classes, you should contact your faculty to arrange making up any missed work. You should consult your trainer or PE instructor for missed sports practices or PE classes.

The Student Health Center, with your permission, will contact your Dean about prolonged absences or rearrangements on exams and presentations.

The university’s policy on class absences is as follows:

The university recognizes that students will occasionally have significant medical illnesses or injuries that prevent them from attending classes or completing assignments or exams. The student is responsible for contacting the professors and administrative adviser concerning any make-up work, withdrawals, extensions, or incompletes that might be necessary. With the student’s permission, health services will verify these prolonged absences. The health services office does not notify professors and administrative advisers about minor illnesses (that will resolve within a few days). Students will be expected to contact their professors directly about these brief days of missed course work. Reference – 2012 Student Handbook.
Do I need any health tests or immunizations before coming to Colgate?
Your health and health history will dictate some of what may be required before arriving at Colgate. Every student and their doctor must fill out a Colgate Health History Form prior to starting school. Required and recommended vaccines are listed on that form and adhere to state and federal regulations.

See below for information on immunization costs:
  • Hepatitis A $80
  • Hepatitis B $70
  • Polio $30
  • Gardasil (HPV vaccine) $180
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) $40
  • Meningococcal (Menactra) $115
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) $70
  • Varicella (chicken pox) $115
Where can I get dental care?
Dr. Scot Ioset
34 Broad Street
Hamilton, NY

Dr. Devan Berry 
17 Payne Street
Hamilton, NY

Dr. Robert Jackson
59 North Main Street
Earlville, NY 13332

Bassett Healthcare Hamilton-Madison 
1055 Madison Marketplace
Hamilton, NY 13346

Emergency Dental Care
Faxton St. Luke’s Hospital
1656 Champlin Avenue
Utica, NY 13501

Oral and maxillofacial surgery
Drs. Viktus, Scutari, and Cardoso
301 Genesee Street, #6F
Oneida, NY 13421
Where can I get eye care?
Eyecare of CNY
2730 State Route 12B
Hamilton, NY 13346
Additional Information and Locations

Chenango Eye Associates
4 Eaton Street
Hamilton, NY 13346
Additional Information and Locations

Allen Eye Associates, Oneida NY

What other services are available locally?
How confidential are my medical records? How long are they kept? What if I need them sent elsewhere?
The Student Health Center takes confidentiality very seriously and follows medical/legal standards. Your entire medical record is kept for 7 years and your immunization record is kept for 10 years. No medical information is given out without your permission - not to faculty/deans, parents, RA's or other students. Contact us at 315-228-7750 if you need records sent elsewhere. Click here for the “Release of Medical Information Form.”
Where's the nearest hospital?
Community Memorial Hospital is adjacent to the Student Health Center on Broad Street (Route 12B). The hospital's emergency department is available for emergencies after-hours when the Student Health Center is closed.

We refer students to Community Memorial Hospital for emergency room care, outpatient lab testing, x-rays, CT & MRI scans, and in-patient admissions.

Larger hospitals are located in Syracuse (University Hospital, Crouse Hospital, and St. Joseph's Hospital), Utica (Faxton/St. Luke’s, St. Elizabeth’s) and Cooperstown (Bassett Hospital) all approximately one hour from Hamilton.

You (and/or your insurance) are responsible for any bills for ER visits or lab/radiology testing.

Also available after hours for non emergency care is the Hamilton Urgent Care Center, located behind Community Memorial Hospital.  Hours are Monday – Friday 5:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m. and Sat/Sun 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.  

Do I need health insurance? If so, how do I obtain it?
Yes, every student is required to have health insurance to pay for medical expenses and medications that are not available at the health center. Most students remain on their family health insurance policy. For those students who can no longer remain on their family insurance or if the family insurance will not easily allow care in Hamilton, NY (which is the case for some HMO-type insurances); a student-only limited benefits policy is available. Please click here for more information.
What if I need transportation for a referral out of town?
Transportation for health referrals or specialty appointments must be arranged by the student and may include utilizing a Taxi, friend or Zip Car