Degree Works Student FAQ Skip Navigation

Degree Works Information and FAQs for Students

Degree Works Tutorials:

Video Tutorial


How do I access Degree Works

From the Colgate portal, click on the Degree Works (degree audit) link on the registrar’s tab in the Banner Self-Service portlet.

Who, besides me, has access to my Degree Works audit?
Advisers, faculty, and selected staff also have access to your Degree Works audit for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

**Please note: Degree Works access cannot be shared with your parent/guardian via Info Share.
Does Degree Works replace my faculty adviser?
Degree Works does not take the place of your faculty adviser. It is a tool to assist you and your adviser in tracking your progress toward major and graduation requirements but it does not replace regular advising meetings.
Can a student register for classes in Degree Works?
Degree Works provides information on degree requirements and assists with planning for registration, but students must still register through Banner Self-Service. Degree Works lists all courses that will fulfill outstanding requirements, but does not provide information about specific course offerings for a particular semester, nor term-specific information, such as meeting dates, times and instructor information. Students must still use the Course Offerings each term to identify the courses for which they plan to register.
Whom should I contact with questions?
You should always confer with your faculty adviser if you have a question about your audit. If further clarification is needed, please contact the registrar’s office (, 315-228-7408, or come to 126 McGregory Hall).

If you are having technical difficulties with Degree Works, please contact the ITS Service Desk (, 315-228-7111, or visit the ITS Service Desk on the 3rd floor of Case Library).
How do I Exit Degree Works?
From your degree audit window, select the Exit degree Works tab in the upper right corner of the window.
How long will I have access to my Degree Works audit?
Students will lose access to Degree Works approximately one month after graduation. We recommend that you save a PDF copy of your audit to retain your major/minor GPA.

Degree Audit

How is the degree audit structured?
The audit is organized into categorical sections called blocks. The first block provides student demographic information and photo, and is displayed at the top of the audit, followed by requirement blocks:

Degree in Bachelor of Arts
summarizes the requirements to earn a degree including course credit, general education, major, and GPA. Students who have not yet declared a major will have a block for “Seeking a Bachelor of Arts Degree.” This will change to the specific degree block when a major is formally declared.

General Education Requirements
summarizes all of the requirements that fall under the Liberal Arts Core Curriculum.

Common Core Requirements
details each CORE area (i.e., Scientific Perspectives, Communities and Identities, Legacies of the Ancient World, and Challenges of Modernity).

Global Engagements
specifies if the requirement has been satisfied and, if not, directs students to view the Course Offerings to find GLEN courses approved for a specific term.

Areas of Inquiry
details each area and displays completed or in-progress course work counting toward this requirement.

Writing Requirement For most students, the writing requirement is satisfied upon admission. If not, this block will display as incomplete until a qualifying WRIT course is successfully completed.

Foreign Language Requirement
For most students, the language requirement is satisfied upon admission. If not, this block will display as incomplete until a qualifying (200-level) language course is successfully completed.

Physical Education Requirement
shows how many remaining PHED units are needed to complete the requirement.

Major and minor
displays detailed requirements within each major and/or minor. Specific components of the major or minor are listed individually and are checked off as the student progresses.

Major/Minor GPA
appears only for those majors and minors that count all courses in the department/program toward the GPA. Otherwise, the student’s major or minor GPA comprises only the courses used to satisfy the major or minor requirements and can be found in the regular major or minor block header.

Additional/Elective Courses
lists those that do not satisfy any requirement or are not needed to fulfill a requirement (e.g., another course is being used).

Insufficient Courses
lists any failed, withdrawn, or repeated courses that cannot be used to fulfill a requirement.

In-progress Courses
lists all registered courses that have not yet received a grade. After registration, and before the end of the current term, it will list both fall and spring courses.

Not Counted
lists courses that are taken out of sequence or have other issues that should be addressed with the registrar’s office. If there are courses listed in Not Counted, please contact the registrar’s office immediately.

Notes may be listed for some students. If there is a note, it will appear at the bottom of the audit, or you can click the Notes tab at the top. Notes are only entered by the registrar's office and are visible to anyone who has access to the audit.
What do the symbols signify next to each requirement on the audit?
= complete
  = not complete
  = will be complete when in-progress courses are successfully completed
= nearly complete - see your adviser
@ = any course number
* = course is either a pre-requisite or requires a pre-requisite
IP = course in progress

The legend also appears at the bottom of each audit.
What view formats are available for an audit?
The Student View is the default format and contains the most comprehensive information about your academic program and progress toward degree completion. The Registration Checklist view condenses the audit to show the outstanding requirements only. To change from the default Student View to the Registration Checklist, locate the Format drop down menu above the audit, select Registration Checklist, then click View.
What is the Class History?
Class History provides a chronological list of all completed and in-progress course work. The list is ordered by term and includes grade and course credit information. This is not a transcript and does not provide term GPAs or a running cumulative GPA. To view Class History, click the link located above the audit.
How is a Degree Works audit different from a transcript?
Degree Works uses degree requirements from the University Catalogue and re-organizes the chronological transcript into categorical blocks. Unlike the transcript, which is the final, official documentation of a student’s academic record and degree completion at Colgate, the Degree Works audit is an unofficial advisement tool. The official transcript is issued through the Office of the Registrar upon written request from the student.
Does the audit constitute clearance for graduation?
The Degree Works audit is not official notification of degree requirement completion. Final approval of Colgate degree completion resides with the Office of the Registrar. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you have questions regarding the degree audit or official degree completion status.
Where do I find my major and/or minor GPA?
Most major and minor GPAs are listed in the major/minor block header and are a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major/minor requirements only. Some majors and minors count all courses taken in the subject area of the department/program, whether they count toward a specific requirement in that major or not. In these cases, you will also see a separate Major/Minor GPA Coursework block below the major/minor requirement block. If present, this block should be used to determine your major/minor GPA.
How does Degree Works decide which courses to use to satisfy requirements?
The degree audit places each course using a “best fit” scenario. Often multiple possibilities exist, and Degree Works may not choose the same configuration that you may have chosen. This does not mean that it could not be used in another configuration, rather that the tool is providing a possible scenario. The registrar’s office has no control over the best fit scenarios, and these may change as the student registers and completes additional courses.

The best fit scenario also applies to students with two majors (or major and minor) that can share courses. Students must have 7 unique courses for a major. If the combination of shared courses is not appropriate, please contact the registrar’s office ( 
How will transfer and AP credit appear in the audit?
Approved transfer and AP credit will factor into the audit where appropriate. Approved transfer credit or AP credit will appear on the audit once the Office of the Registrar has received the official transcript or score report.
What if the major or minor requirements listed in my audit appear to be incorrect?
Major and minor requirement blocks are determined by the declaration year which appears in the major or minor block header. You are expected to complete the requirements in place for that year. If you believe the declaration year is recorded incorrectly, please contact the registrar’s office at
My audit shows I am still undeclared but I have declared a major. Why doesn’t it show?
Your major(s) or minor will show in Degree Works as soon as the approved declaration form is received and processed by the registrar’s office. If it does not appear in Degree Works, follow up with the department or program.
I’ve completed my PHED requirement, why is it still listed as Not Complete on my audit?
The physical education requirement is marked complete when you have completed two PHED units (also satisfied by Outdoor Education programs, two seasons of a varsity sport, or two different club sports). You are not awarded academic credit for PHED units. The PHED department notifies the registrar’s office when you have completed a PHED unit. Only then will the registrar’s office enter the unit on your transcript with a grade of O (the letter, not a zero). If a PHED unit is not appearing on the audit, you should contact the PHED department for assistance.
Why isn’t a transfer course fulfilling a requirement?
It is possible that the course was not approved to satisfy a specific requirement or the Office of the Registrar was not notified. It is also possible that all specific requirements have been met and the course counts only as a degree elective. If you have additional questions regarding transfer credit, please contact the registrar’s office (
How do I print a degree audit?
Use the Print tab at the top of the page or you can choose the View PDF button just above the Student Information block.

What-If Audit

What is the What-If feature?
The What-If feature allows you to hypothetically change a major or minor. The What-If audit will show what course work is required for the new major or minor, what courses they have taken that satisfy requirements, and what requirements are still outstanding.
How do I run a What-If audit?
  • Select What-If from the side menu options in the far left column.
  • Choose the current or a future declaration year (required), then select a major and/or minor. If the major or minor requires an emphasis, you must also select the corresponding emphasis.

    You may choose several majors and minors to view in one What-If scenario. (Per university policy, students may officially declare two majors or one major and one minor.)
  • If desired, add projected course work to the What-If audit by entering course information in the Choose Your Future Courses section, below the major and minor pick lists.
  • Once you have chosen the desired major(s) and/or minor(s) and entered projected course work, if desired, click the Process What-If button at the top of the page.
Why am I receiving an error when I run a "What-If" scenario?
The "What-If" tool requires that you make a selection in the "Declaration Year" field. Failure to select a year will result in an error.
If I use the What-If feature, does it mean I have declared or changed my major/minor?
You must complete and submit an approved declaration form to the registrar’s office to formally declare a major or minor. The What-If function is for information purposes only and does not constitute declaration. You will see the header “What-If Audit” displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a What-If scenario.

Look Ahead

What is the Look Ahead feature?
This feature allows you to enter projected course work and see how it would apply to the current audit. This could be used to help plan for registration in future terms.
How do I use the Look Ahead feature?
  • Select Look Ahead from the side menu options in the far left column.
  • Enter a subject and course number and click Add Course.
  • You may repeat the process until all desired courses are entered, then click the Process New button at the top of the page.

    This will generate a new audit with the projected course work marked in blue and PLAN indicated in the grade column.

    The What-If audit also includes Look Ahead functionality.

GPA Calculators

What are my GPA Calculator options?
Graduation Calculator determines the average GPA you will need in their remaining credits to reach your target GPA upon graduation. Enter the current GPA (should default in, if available), credits remaining (both in-progress credits and future credits), total number of credits required (32), and the desired GPA. Click Calculate to view the average GPA needed over the course of the remaining credits.

Term Calculator displays an estimated cumulative GPA based on hypothetical grade information. Your current earned credits and current cumulative GPA will autofill. You must choose an anticipated grade for each in-progress course. (In-progress courses should default in, but can be edited if needed.) Once all of the information is entered, click Calculate to see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

Please note that cumulative GPA calculations in Degree Works are estimates only and may not be used for awarding of university honors, scholarships, etc. Official cumulative GPAs are recalculated by the registrar’s office at the end of each term and will be used as the GPA of record.

Major and minor GPAs are for student and departmental use only and are not a part of a student's permanent record.
Why can’t I select a grade of “S” in the Term Calculator?
"S" and “U” grades do not count in the GPA. Remove courses from the course list for which the S/U grading mode is being used prior to calculating the GPA.