If You Are a Victim of Sexual Assault
MORE ABOUT VICTIM SUPPORT
- Find a safe place away from the person who violated you.
- Get medical attention immediately — even if you are not physically injured — consider STDs and pregnancy. The Student Health Center or Community Memorial Hospital can assist you.
- Preserve evidence — do not bathe, shower, douche, change clothes, change bedding, brush teeth, chew gum, or eat or drink anything.
- Request the hospital to conduct a rape kit exam.
- If you suspect that you may have been drugged, ask that a urine sample be collected.
- To report the assault, contact the Campus Safety Department (315-228-7333) or Hamilton Police Department (315-824-3311 or 911).
- Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist rape victims. Contact the counseling center at 315-228-7385 or contact campus safety and request to speak with the counselor on call. You may also contact Victims of Violence Services of Madison County at 315-366-5000.
– Remember that the assault was not your fault.
If you are a victim of any crime on or off campus, contact the Colgate University Campus Safety Department at 315-228-7333 or Hamilton Police Department at 315-824-3311 or dial 911.