Austin College, B.A. in Economics (with Honors), Business Administration, and Classical Civilizations, summa cum laude, 2006
Honors Thesis: “Greek Economics: Repositioning Aristotle in the History of Economic Thought”
Vanderbilt University, Ph.D. in Economics, 2010
Dissertation Title: “Free Banking: A Reassessment Using Bank-Level Data”
American Economic History, Money and Banking, Financial Economics, and Macroeconomics
Banking systems prior to the Federal Reserve, Financial Crises, and Finance-Growth Nexus
Forthcoming Handbook Chapters
“Free Bank Failures: Risky Bonds vs. Undiversified Portfolios”, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 42 (2010), pp. 1565-1587.
“Bank-Specific Default Risk In The Pricing Of Bank Note Discounts” Journal of Economic History Vol. 71 (2011), pp. 950-975.
“Estimating Antebellum Passenger Costs: A Hub-and-Spoke Approach” Historical Methods Vol. 45 (2012), pp. 93-101.
“Land, Location, and Labor: Accounting for Racial Differences in Postbellum Cotton Production” (with Neil Canaday) Explorations in Economic History Vol. 49 (2012), pp. 291-302.
“Banks, Free Banks, and Economic Growth” (with Peter Rousseau) Economic Inquiry Vol. 51 (2013), pp. 1603–1621.
“State Banks and the National Banking Acts: Measuring the Response to Increased Financial Regulation, 1860–1870” Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 45 (2013), pp. 379–399.
"National Banking's Role in U.S. Industrialization, 1850-1900" Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2014), pp. 109-140.
"Sales and Firm Entry: The Case of Wal-Mart" (with PJ Glandon) Southern Economic Journal Vol. 81 (2014), pp. 168-192
"American Banking and the Transportation Revolution Before the Civil War” (with Jeremy Atack and Peter Rousseau) forthcoming Journal of Economic History
"Clearinghouses as Credit Regulators Before the Fed” Forthcoming Journal of Financial Stability
“Did Railroads Make Antebellum U.S. Banks More Sound? Linking Rail Locations With Bank Balance Sheets and Survival Rates”(With Jeremy Atack and Peter Rousseau) forthcoming in Enterprising America: Business, Banks, and Credit Markets in Historical Perspective
- "Introduction au régime de banque libre aux États-Unis (An Introduction to Free Banking in the United States)" forthcoming in Revue d'économie financière
- "The Evolution of Bank Supervision: Evidence from U.S. States" (With Kris Mitchener) Conditionally accepted for Journal of Economic History
- "Banking from 1790 to the Founding of the Federal Reserve" (With Peter Rousseau) in the Oxford Dictionary of American Economic History
- "The Cliometric Study of Financial Panics and Crashes" in the Handbook of Cliometrics
-Review of Kenneth D. Garbade’s “Birth of a Market: The U.S. Treasury Securities Market from the Great War to the Great Depression” Economic History Review Vol. 66 (2013), pp. 1219–1220
-Review of Nicholas Crafts and Peter Fearon's "The Great Depression of the 1930s: Lessons for Today" Journal of Economic Literature Vol. 52 (2014), pp. 541-542
-Review of Michael J Hightower’s "Banking in Oklahoma Before Statehood" forthcoming in Journal of Economic History.
-"Quantifying Wildcat Banking" (with Jeremy Atack)
-"Rural Land and Inequality and the Development of a New Credit System in the South After the Civil War, 1860-1900" (with Price Fishback)
-"The Rise of Commercial Bank Deposits in the United States" (With Peter Rousseau)
-"Capital Requirements and Bank Activity: RDD evidence from the National Banking Period" (With Greg Niemesh)
-"Banks, Life Cycle Saving, and the American Fertility Transition, 1800-1880" (With Michael Haines and J. David Hacker)
-“Liquidity Risk, Bank Networks, and the Value of Joining the Fed” (With Charles W. Calomiris, Haelim Park, and Gary Richardson)
-"The (Dis)Advantages of Clearinghouses Before the Fed"
-"An In-Depth Analysis of New England Mutual Savings Banks, 1870-1914" (With Brady Plastaras)
Archival and Data Collection Projects:
-U.S. Passenger Transportation Costs - 1837, 1849, 1859, 1867
-National Bank Balance Sheets - Comptroller of the Currency - 1865-1920
-State Bank Balance Sheets - Various State Banking Department Records- 1863-1920
-Locations of National Banks, State Banks, and Trust Companies - Bankers Directories - 1860-1910
- Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Referee for Cliometrica, Columbia University Press, Eastern Economic Journal, Economic History Review, Explorations in Economic History, The Independent Review, Journal of Economic History, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, Journal of Policy History, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Southern Economic Journal, and Western Historical Quarterly
- H. Cole Grants in Aid, Economic History Association, 2013
- Major Grant, Colgate University, 2013
- Summer Research Apprenticeship Funding, Colgate University, 2012
- Sokoloff Dissertation Fellowship, Economic History Association, 2010
- Rendigs Fels Award for Excellence in Teaching, Vanderbilt University, 2010
- Household International Best Research Paper Award, Vanderbilt University, 2009
- College of Arts and Science Summer Research Award, Vanderbilt University, 2008
- Graduate Fellowship/Assistantship, Vanderbilt University, 2006-2010
- Phi Beta Kappa, National Undergraduate Honor Society, Austin College, 2006
- Mellon Summer Research Fellowship, Austin College, 2005
- Grace and Will Collins Scholarship in Economics, Austin College, 2005