BA (1973), MS (1981), PhD (1982), University of Rochester
Teaching Experience Colgate University:
University of Alberta:
- 2003-Present: Professor of Education
- 2000-2003: Chair, Department of Educational Studies and Professor of Education
- 1996-2000: Professor of Education
- 1990-1996: Chair, Department of Educational Studies and Associate Professor of Education
- 1990-1993: Chair, General Education 102 and Associate Professor of University Studies
- 1988-1996: Associate Professor of Education
- 1982-1988: Assistant Professor of Education
University of Rochester:
- 1987, Summer Visiting Associate Professor
- 1979-1980: Graduate School of Education and Lecturer in Education
- 1974-1977: Educational Opportunity Center Secondary Level English and Social Studies
English and social studies curriculum, curriculum theory, philosophy of education, women and education
Chapters in Edited Books:
- Exiles and Communities: Teaching in the Patriarchal Wilderness, SUNY Press, 1990
- Preparing Teachers as Professionals: The Role of Education and Other Liberal Disciplines
- with Landon Beyer, Walter Feinberg, and James Anthony Whitson, Teachers College Press, 1989
Articles and Reviews:
- “Critical Education and the Liberal Arts,” Critical Theories in Education, Thomas S. Popkewitz and Lynn Fendler, editors, pp. 229-249. Routledge, 1999.
- “The End of Innocence,” A Light in Dark Times: Maxine Greene and the Unfinished Conversation, William C. Ayers and Janet L. Miller, editors, Teachers College Press, 1998.
- “Democratic Evaluation: Aesthetic, Ethical Stories in Schools,” with Landon Beyer, The Curriculum: Problems, Politics, and Possibilities, Landon E. Beyer and Michael Apple, editors, pp. 380-397, SUNY 1998.
- “The Problems of Teacher-Student Relationships in Troubled Times,” Teaching and Its Predicaments, Nicholas Burbules and David T. Hansen, editors, pp, 79-95, Westview, 1997.
- “Speculation Based on Speculation: The Problem of the Bell Curve and the Question of Schooling,” Measured Lies: The Bell Curve Examined, Joel L. Kincheloe, Shirley R. Steinberg and Aaron D. Gresson III, pp. 193-203, St. Martin’s, 1996.
- “Matters of the Mind,” New Directions in Philosophy of Education, Wendy Kohli, editor, Routledge, 1993.
- “Teaching Women,” Educational Feminisms, Lynda Stone, editor, Routledge, 1993 (in press).
- “Who Am I When I'm Alone With Myself?”, Women and Solitude: The Center of the Web, Delese Wear, editor, SUNY Press, 1993 (in press).
- “Does Gender Affect Education,” Thirteen Questions, Joseph Kincheloe, editor, Peter Lang, Teachers College Press, 1991.
- “Moral Fictions,” The Stories Lives Tell: Using Narrative in Education, Carol Witherell and Nel Noddings, editors, Teachers College Press, 1991.
- “The Claim of Philia,” Curriculum Theory Discourses, William F. Pinar, editor, Gorsuch Scarisbrick, 1988.
- “Taking Our Places,” Educational Studies, vol. 30, nos. 3/4 pp. 231-264, Winter, 1999.
- Review of Educated in Romance and Becoming a Woman Through Romance,
- Educational Studies, Winter, 1992.
- “Relating to One's Students: Identity, Morality, Stories, and Questions,” Journal of Moral Education, Winter, 1992.
- “Speaking Daughters,” essay review of Bitter Milk, Madeline Grumet, Educational Theory, Winter, 1992.
- Review of The Moral Dimension of Teaching, John Goodland, et al., Journal of Moral Education.
- Review of Judgment, Planning, and Educational Change, Maurice Holtz, Journal of Curriculum Studies, 20:3 (1988), pp. 284-288.
- “Teaching Women,” Educational Theory, 38:3 (1988), pp. 321-339.
- “The Nature and Sources of Teacher Authority,” Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 7:4 (1988), pp. 7-25.
- “The Schools We Deserve”: Essay Review of A Place Called School by John Goodlad, Curriculum Inquiry, 17:1, (1987), pp. 107-122.
- “The Curriculum Field: Emergence of a Discipline,” Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 3:1 (1981), pp.171-184.(with Lawrence Dolan), Curriculum Inquiry, 10:4 (1980), pp. 367-381.
- Essay Review of Landscapes of Learning by Maxine Greene, Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, Winter, 1980.
Critical theory and pedagogy, ethics and education, teaching and feminist theory, popular culture and education
- Editorial Review Board, Educational Theory
- Vice president, president-elect, president, American Educational Studies Association 1996-98
- Program committee co-chair, Conference on Curriculum Theory and Classroom Practice 1988-93