While we are ever-vigilant for new opportunities, here are a few of the measures we have taken to “green” Colgate’s dining services.
Our Local Philosophy
Our location in Central New York means we are surrounded by a prosperous agricultural area. One of our main goals is to maximize the utilization of this local agriculture on campus. Already, 20 percent of our food purchases come from local sources (see the report by Olivia Kuby '12
) with our goal being 30 percent by 2015
Buying local has many benefits including:
- supporting our local farming community;
- strengthening personal relationships with our neighbors;
- reducing emissions associated with transporting large food quantities over long distances; and
- providing us with higher quality, better tasting, fresh food.
Colgate food facts
- All of our rice (white, brown and basmati) is organic.
- We use organic beans including kidney, black, pinto, chili, lentil split pea, and navy.
- We offer a daily vegan option at Frank, our main dining facility.
- All disposable cutlery is biodegradable.
- We promote reusable mugs by selling them for the low price of $2.50 filled with a beverage. Refills on all beverages are discounted with your personal mug.
- We do not use any Styrofoam products.
- Dining Services recycles paper, cardboard, aluminum, plastic and glass.
- We use corn-based bio-plastic containers that are 100% compostable where take-out food is available.
- Our napkins are made from post-consumer content, chlorine-free, and completely compostable.
- We dispense napkins at each table to promote use only as needed and to produce less waste.