Be Social Change Workshop
Marcos Salazar and Allie Mahler founders of Be Social Change
Be Social Change is a team of passionate community-builders on a mission to educate
, and invest
in the next generation of change makers creating bold, innovative social impact. Whether you’re an entrepreneur launching a social good startup, a professional looking to develop new skills to drive innovation within your organization, or simply wanting to learn how to better apply your talents and skills to make the world a better place, our team is here to help guide and activate your potential to Be Social Change! Faculty in Residence: Ashoka Award-Winning Course Social Entrepreneurs, Innovators and Problem Solvers
Taught by Anke Wessels, director of Center for Transformative Action at Cornell University
This course introduces you to social entrepreneurs, innovators, and visionaries—people who are coming up with new methods to resolve pressing social problems. We contrast traditional methods of activism with a new approach that combines the pragmatic approach of social entrepreneurship with the compassionate, collaborative engagement of Transformative Action. This cutting-edge movement tends to be less ideological, less adversarial, more locally specific and more solutions-oriented than previous collective actions for change. You will learn about social entrepreneurs and innovators through readings and case studies. In addition, you will develop a set of skills, tools and practices intended to support you in being an agent for change, no matter where you go from here. The course is not a traditional lecture course. It is highly interactive, experiential, and dynamic. The learning process will involve self-reflection, critical analysis, research, and action.
Upon completion of the course you will be able to:
- Describe and explain key characteristics of social entrepreneurship and how this movement compares to traditional entrepreneurship and previous collective actions for social change.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how social entrepreneurship contributes to creating an economy that is socially just, ecologically sound, and resilient.
- Utilize a set of skills, tools and practices that will support you in being an agent for change.
- Evaluate and create business models for mission driven social ventures.
- Design, and develop your own Big Idea for Social Change.