Frequently Asked Questions
When will I receive information in the mail?
You should expect to receive the first of several mailings from the Dean’s office in early May. Please contact our office at (315) 228-7368 if you have not received your mailing by June 1, 2013.
When should I arrive for my pre-orientation program?
Please plan to arrive on the day your pre-orientation program begins, which is when you will move in to your permanent room.
When can first-year students move into the residence halls?
Arrival day for first-year students is Saturday, August 24. Unless you are attending a pre-orientation program, students should plan to arrive that morning, as check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.. For more information, please review the orientation schedule.
May I bring my belongings to campus early to store them until school starts?
You may not store your belongings at Colgate prior to arrival day. However, you may mail up to two large boxes, if necessary. They will be stored at Mail Services and will be available for pickup on arrival day.
Packages should be addressed in the following manner: Full name (including middle initial), Colgate University, 13 Oak Drive, CU Box # (mailed to you in July), Hamilton NY, 13346.
Should parents make it a point to attend the Parents Program?
Many parents do not accompany their sons or daughters to campus for one reason or another, and may feel that they are missing something beneficial if they are not present for this program. However, the program will be brief, and parents are not obligated to attend.
Parents are encouraged to attend the more extensive Family Weekend in October. It is important to make accommodation reservations for this event now!
What should I bring; what will I need in my dorm room?
Friends and family are good sources of information about what to bring to college. Also check the Residential Life FAQ for a more comprehensive list of items. Below are some suggestions to get you started, but don’t forget to coordinate with your roommate – your life-size Justin Bieber cutout may not fit their feng shui goals!
- Heavy jacket, water repellent boots, raincoat, umbrella, gloves, scarf, long underwear
- Media player, television, personal computer, printer
- Alarm clock, shower caddie, towels
- Cellular phone
- Backpack, dictionary, thesaurus
- Memo/note board for outside of your door
- Surge-protectors, power strips
- Clothes hangers, iron, ironing board
- Laundry basket or bag, detergent, fabric softener
- Posters and poster putty (the use of nails, thumb tacks, and/or tape on the walls is not permitted and will cause a student to be assessed damage fees at the end of the semester or year)
What kind of bedding will I need?
Extra long bedding (80" twin sheets), pillow, mattress cover, blankets, or duvet. Colgate University has partnered with Residence Hall Linens who provides specially sized linens guaranteed to fit. Please contact them directly for additional information.
Where can I do my laundry?
Without your parents around to do laundry, you can turn to the shared laundry facilities that are located in every first-year residence on campus. The facilities require payment using your 'Gate Card. It is easy to add money to your 'Gate Card account online.
How do I get my belongings to my residence hall?
See our arrival day page for a complete walk-through. On arrival day, you will park on Whitnall Field and register for orientation across the street at Reid Athletic center. Next, unload your luggage on Whitnall and student volunteers will move it to your residence hall. Please make sure that the luggage stickers The Office of Residential Life sends you are attached to every box and piece of luggage.
You also may mail up to two large boxes ahead of time. They will be stored at Mail Services and will be available for pickup on arrival day. Packages should be addressed in the following manner: Full name (including middle initial), Colgate University, 13 Oak Drive, CU Box # (mailed to you in July), Hamilton NY, 13346.
Academic Information and Calendar
When will I receive course registration materials?
The Office of the Registrar will mail registration information in early June. More information will be posted on the registrar's page. Contact the registrar's office at 315.228.7676 or email@example.com with additional questions.
When is Thanksgiving break?
Thanksgiving recess is Saturday, November 23 through Sunday, December 1. See the official academic calendar for all recess listings.
What is the last day of the fall semester?
The final day of exams before winter break is Friday, December 13. The residence halls and dining halls close to all students at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 14. Students are advised to return to campus Saturday January 18, when residence and dining halls reopen. Classes for the spring semester start Monday January 20, 2014. FULL ACADEMIC CALENDAR
Information for Families
When is Family Weekend and where can I get more information about it?
Family Weekend is October 25-27, 2013. For more information along with a complete schedule of activities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (315) 228-6206.
What will my mailing address be?
Your mailing address will be:
Full name (including middle initial)
13 Oak Drive
CU Box # (mailed to you in July)
Hamilton, NY 13346
Computing and Technology
What type of computer and other electronic equipment should I bring to campus?
You can bring either a Mac or a Windows computer to campus. Wireless access is available in all rooms.
The Colgate Bookstore offers great deals and service on student computers, and when you buy from the Bookstore, you get the Bookstore Advantage. Please call John Fava for more information (315) 228-7776 or email him at email@example.com.
Printing is available on campus at various locations, but you may want to bring your own printer, which can also be purchased at the Bookstore. Personal wireless printers will not work with the wireless network on campus, so keep that in mind before making your purchase.
Other items you may want to bring to campus are: external storage devices (such as a USB stick or an external hard drive); a security cable to lock down your laptop; software and computer recovery disks as well as license codes and product keys. Information Technology Services (ITS) will help you connect game consols, media streaming devices, and portable tablets and e-readers. For more information on ITS Support, visit their webpage at colgate.edu/ITS.
What do I need to know about my Colgate computing accounts and important websites?
Here is a listing of important websites you will need to know:
The Colgate Portal provides access to important campus life, academic, and financial services. On the portal you will receive announcements, vote in campus elections, register for classes, view grades and unofficial transcripts, view class schedules, pay fees, and more. To access the portal, browse to portal.colgate.edu.
Your Colgate E-mail provides you with Gmail's services including E-mail, Calendar, Google Drive, and more. Your E-mail can be accessed at gomail.colgate.edu.
Colgate uses Moodle as our course management system. Many of your courses will use Moodle to host the course syllabus, readings, online discussions, and more. To log onto moodle, visit moodle.colgate.edu and log on with your network account and password.
To change your Colgate network and email account, visit: accounts.colgate.edu.
What do I need to know about cell phones?
Verizon Wireless and AT&T are the two cellular companies supported in Hamilton, NY. If your cell phone contract is not with one of these two phone companies, please plan accordingly.
Do students need health insurance? Who should I talk to?
All Colgate students are required to have health insurance. Students may enroll in an insurance program through the university or waive the university insurance to participate in a family plan by visiting Gallagher Koster. Please contact Student Health Services at (315) 228-7750 with additional questions.
What are my transportation options to and from campus?
Colgate is 10 miles from the geographic center of New York state. The most convenient airport to fly into is Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR), located about an hour’s drive from campus. During heavy travel periods such as school breaks students and families may use the following resources to find transportation services to and from campus.
- General travel information can be found on the Maps and Directions page of the Colgate website.
- The Colgate Travel Agency provides discounted COACH USA bus tickets to Colgate students. COACH USA is an independent company that provides bus service from Hamilton, NY to locations north and south such as Utica, NY and New York City. The full COACH USA schedule and list of destinations can be found on their website. Tickets can be purchased directly from COACH USA, however, the Colgate discounted price cannot be guaranteed unless purchased through the Travel Agency. For students interested in train service, they can take a COACH USA bus to Utica where they will be dropped off at the Amtrak station.
- Colgate University and Birnie Bus Service have a longstanding history of providing the best accommodations for Colgate students, including trips to and from the Syracuse Hancock International Airport. The Travel Agency, in conjunction with the Colgate Student Government Association (SGA) has arranged shuttles during break periods at a discounted price. Information about tickets and shuttle times can be found on the SGA website and at the Travel Agency desk. Additionally, personalized travel arrangements can be made through Birnie Bus by using their Demand Response Shuttle service.
- The Alumni Club of Boston and the Alumni Club of Long Island with support from the Colgate University Alumni Relations Office provide specific transportation needs for students living in the Boston and Long Island areas. For more information regarding these opportunities please contact Christopher Moy '11 at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Boston area and Mr. William Cornachio at 516-627-4471 for the Long Island area.
- Colgate has its own fleet of Zip Cars available for Colgate students, faculty and staff. Complete the online order form and your son or daughter will be on their way.
May first-year students have a car on campus?
Yes, students are permitted to have a car on campus for all four years. However, on-campus parking is limited, and first-year students are required to park in a designated lot at the bottom of the hill near Reid Athletic Center. Keep in mind that it is a truly residential campus, and almost all students remain on campus over the weekends.
All students must register their vehicles with the Campus Safety Department within 24 hours of the vehicle’s arrival on campus. Application forms are available at the campus safety office. You will be asked to show your Colgate ID, your state-issued driver's license, and your motor vehicle registration. For more information please visit Parking Regulations.
Which banks have branches in Hamilton?
There are two banks in Hamilton: NBT Bank and Oneida Savings Bank. There is one ATM on campus, which is owned by NBT Bank, and both banks are located within walking distance of campus.
Are there taxi services in Hamilton?
Check out Demand Response Shuttle at 315-824-1260, and Hamilton Taxi at 315-824-8294.
Are there independent storage companies that students can use?
The following are some storage options around Hamilton:
- Hamilton Lumber and Hardware Inc., 2552 Rte 12B, Hamilton, NY 13346
Phone: (315) 824-1448
- Hamilton Self Storage, Rte 12B, Hamilton, NY, 13346
Phone: (315) 824-4021
- M. Burton Marshall Rental and Real Estate, Rte 12B, Hamilton, NY 13346
Phone: (315) 824-2811
What resources exist for students with disabilities, or who need special accommodations?
Students in need of special accommodations may contact Lynn Waldman in Academic Support and Disability Services
What resources exist for international students?
International students may contact the International Student Services (OISS) at OISS@colgate.edu. You can also visit the international student page for more information.
Do you have a question that is not answered above? Ask!