I. Career Services requires all Summer Funding recipients to participate in a Summer Funding Orientation Session.
I will attend one of the following required in-person information sessions.
- Monday, April 21 at 4:15pm (Persson 27)
- Tuesday, April 22 at 7:00pm (Persson 27)
If abroad, I will attend one of the following required virtual information sessions. Please RSVP to Shauna Hirshfield (firstname.lastname@example.org) to indicate which session you plan to attend and to obtain the webinar access information.
- Wednesday, April 23 at 10:00am EST
- Tuesday, April 29 at 3:00pm EST
II. Have you accepted an internship offer?
Yes, I have already received and accepted an internship offer!
- Please jump to Step III.
No, I have not yet received an offer or can't decide which opportunity to pursue.
- You must confirm your summer plans before you can fulfill the following requirements to access your funding award. Please feel free to schedule an appointment with an advisor for assistance.
III. Complete the Internship Confirmation Form.
Before you can turn in all of the required paperwork and receive your funding award, you’ll need to confirm your summer opportunity.
- Confirm your internship here.
IV. By Friday, May 9 at 5 p.m. submit all required paperwork to Career Services and complete all requirements outlined below.
Submit hard copies of all required materials to Career Services (Spear House) before leaving campus. Students who are abroad can e-mail PDF files to email@example.com (only files of type .pdf will be accepted). Funding awards will be disbursed a minimum of two weeks after submission of all required paperwork, outlined below.
1. Acceptance of Award
2. Offer letter/e-mail from the employer/organization referenced in my Internship Confirmation Form with approximate beginning and ending dates of my internship
3. A copy of my written acceptance of the position (a copy of an e-mail will suffice)
4. Colgate's Risk & Responsibility Form
(R&R for domestic internships or
R&R for international internships)
5. Colgate's Travel Plans Form
6. Colgate's Physician Report Form – only if internship is abroad
V. Prior to the start of your internship, fulfill these additional requirements.
- Employer Internship Agreement – to be completed by employer. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that this document is submitted to Career Services prior to beginning the internship.
- Work with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment to be sure you’ve completed all the required employment-related paperwork before beginning work.
- International students must apply for a Social Security number (after completing an I-9) – contact International Student Services for assistance.
VI. Two weeks after the end of my internship and no later than Tuesday, August 26, I will submit to Career Services:
1. A completed web-based questionnaire including (1) a brief summary/blog post (200 words) of my summer experience and (2) a thank you letter for the donor who funded my internship
2. My supervisor’s evaluation of my performance
3. Photo taken of me “in action” at my internship
VII. Next school year, 2014-2015, if I am on-campus, I will:
Participate in Career Services’ SophoMORE Connections or other on-campus presentation.
Awards and Payment Policies and Procedures
- Students who have been awarded funding are expected to notify Career Services immediately upon accepting an offer.
- For all funding recipients, Career Services must receive confirmation of acceptance of the internship offer and all other required paperwork before any funding will be released.
- Bi-weekly payments will be made throughout the duration of the internship, beginning at the end of the Colgate pay period that coincides with the start date of your experience. The total award will be split evenly across the number of pay periods during the length of your internship.
- In compliance with IRS regulations, all awards are considered taxable income. The taxed amount will be deducted from each bi-weekly payment. Applicants should plan on roughly 25% of the total award being deducted for taxes. Considerations should be made when completing the Budget Proposal.
- Students requiring advance funds to help cover airfare or housing down payments can send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2014. The maximum advance is $500.00 or the cost of airfare. The advance amount will be subtracted from the total award, and the remainder will be split evenly across the bi-weekly payments.
- Upon completion of all paperwork, please expect a minimum 2-3 week turnaround for funding to be released.
- As a condition of receiving funding, short assignments are required while on site. Award recipients must comply with all set deadlines and requirements. Should a recipient default on his/her contract, the student will become ineligible for future Career Services funding opportunities. Career Services reserves the right to inform a student’s internship provider of his/her non-compliance and violation of Summer Funding policy.