Gary Eichhorn ’75 and Joan Eichhorn P’05 founded the Music and Youth Initiative
in 2004 with the mission of providing the benefits of a music education to underserved youth. Concerned that music programs in public schools had been dramatically curtailed, they wanted to provide a vibrant after-school music program for youth, ages 10-18, and to use music as a vehicle for developing self confidence and self esteem. Learn more about the nonprofit at Colgate's news blog
Music & Youth currently sponsors a total of 10 clubhouses in Massachusetts, which are operated by the following youth development organizations:
- Lawrence Music Clubhouse, Lawrence – Lawrence YMCA
- West End House Music Clubhouse, Allston – West End House Boys & Girls Club
- Blue Hill Music Clubhouse, Dorchester – Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston
- Hyde Square Music Clubhouse, Jamaica Plain – Hyde Square Task Force
- Sociedad Latina Music Clubhouse, Mission Hill – Sociedad Latina
- Dorchester Music Clubhouse, Dorchester – Boys & Girls Clubs of Dorchester
- Roxbury Music Clubhouse, Roxbury - Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston
- Everett Studio Clubhouse, Everett – Boys & Girls Clubs of Middlesex County
- Lynn Studio Clubhouse, Lynn – Lynn YMCA
- Charlestown Studio Clubhouse, Charlestown – Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston
Music and Youth and a Colgate fellowship coordinator oversee the application and hiring process for the summer fellowship program. Those awarded a fellowship receive a stipend of $3,500 and are assigned to a specific music or studio clubhouse in a youth development organization (Boys and Girls Club, YMCA or community based organization) working 40 hours per week for 8 weeks. The fellowship runs from June 24-August 16 - no exceptions.
- Applications are due March 1.
- Next steps: you will then participate in an initial interview and selection process at Colgate. In addition, Music and Youth will also conduct interviews with fellowship candidates, including an evaluation of which clubhouse is the best fit for the candidate. SPECIFIC CLUBHOUSE PLACEMENTS WILL NOT BE MADE UNTIL APRIL, but you will be informed as to whether your placement will be in the city of Boston or elsewhere in the Greater Boston Area.
- In April, you will go through an interview process with the staff at the identified music clubhouse/youth development organization to ensure the best fit between student/music clubhouse.
Your job description will be available during the Music and Youth orientation sessions prior to the start of your internship. The job description will:
- Identify the employer’s needs and expectations for your internship, both on a typical day and in terms of the larger mission of the organization.
- State the goals and objectives of the position and/or project to be undertaken.
- State duties and responsibilities, and define the time frame in which each is to be completed.
- State your reporting line as an internship employee within the organization.
- Provide you with an internship timeline