Colgate undergraduates may not receive sponsorship for activities abroad, including credit for study abroad; funding for internships, research, or volunteer activities; or sponsorship for extracurricular activities, such as music or sport, for countries for which the U.S. State Department has issued a travel warning that does any of the following:
- orders departure of U.S. dependents and non-emergency personnel;
- recommends that any U.S. citizens remaining in the country should depart;
- strongly warns U.S. citizens against travel to the country;
- warns or urges U.S. citizens to defer (non-essential) travel to the country;
- or warns that the U.S. Embassy’s ability to provide emergency consular services is limited.
For countries for which a warning is in place, the lifting of the warning must occur before the date of departure for Colgate sponsorship to be given.
Colgate students may petition to receive sponsorship for activities abroad, including credit for study abroad; funding for internships, research, or volunteer activities; or sponsorship for extracurricular activities, such as music or sport, for countries for which the State Department has issued lesser travel warning levels, such as, for example, when the State Department only:
- warns U.S. citizens of the (risks, dangers, or potential risk or danger) of travel to the country;
- urges U.S. citizens to evaluate carefully their security and safety before traveling to the country;
- warns (cautions) U.S. citizens to consider the risks of travel to the country;
- cautions U.S. citizens to take prudent security measures;
- urges (warns) U.S. citizens to weigh the necessity of travel to the country;
- orurges U.S. citizens to exercise extreme caution.
The petition should include:
- a summary of the student’s plan for the sponsored activity;
- an itinerary that includes likely destinations within the country;
- an explanation of how the student will travel within the country;
- an explanation of where the student will be staying within the country;
- and previous academic courses (including language) or experiences that the student has had that might prepare him/her for this experience.
Off-Campus Study and Risk Management will inform the student if their petition has been approved, denied, or if further information is needed.