Expedited and full-review proposals can be submitted for review through the IRB Submission Website. Requests for exemption status (see Proposal Categories) should be sent via email to IRB_exempt@psych.colgate.edu. Please review the IRB proposal guidelines before submitting your proposal for review.
We have a dedicated site that handles proposal submissions. Instructions for using the site can be found below. When you are ready, submit your proposal online
- Before entering the submission site, you will be required to log on to the submission system using your Colgate Username and Password (i.e., the same username and password you use to log on to Colgate’s Portal).
- Once logged in, you will be brought to a page containing the “Submit a Proposal” link which, when selected, begins the submission process. You will also see a list of proposals that you have submitted in the past (note, the list will be empty if you have not previously submitted a proposal using the submission site).
- After selecting the “Submit a Proposal” link, you will be brought to the proposal cover sheet page. On this page, you will be asked for general information pertaining to your proposed study (e.g., title, # of participants, type of proposal, investigators involved, faculty supervisors, investigator contact information, etc.). Please note that all fields must be completed before you will be allowed to advance to the proposal page.
Special Notes regarding the cover sheet page:
- Anticipated number of participants: Ethics require that both risks and benefits be distributed across participant groups in an equitable manner. That is, it is not appropriate for one group (e.g., males) to be exclusively exposed to the risks of research or, conversely, to be the sole beneficiaries of research. If the number of males and females (or other demographic variables) are not equal, please justify the inequality in your proposal.
- All researchers are expected to have read, and agree to uphold the ethical principles and guidelines for the protection of human research participants as they are described in the Belmont Report issued by the Federal Office of Health, Education & Welfare. A copy of The Belmont Report is available at Belmont Report
- Once you have advanced to the proposal page, simply copy and paste your “Purpose of Investigation and Procedures”, “Anticipated Risk and Potential Benefits to Participants”, “Steps Taken to Protect the Participants”, and “Manner of Obtaining Participants” sections into the appropriate boxes. If desired, you may also simply type the text of each section into the appropriate box. If any proposal boxes are left empty, you will not be able to submit your proposal.
- At the bottom of the proposal page, you will see a prompt to upload your consent form. Select the “Browse” button to locate the document on your computer. Please note that unless Colgate’s IRB has waived the consent form for your proposed project, you must upload a consent form for your study.
- If your proposal requires additional supporting documentation (e.g., debriefing form, questionnaires, etc.), select the “Upload Additional Documents” button to upload those documents.
- Select the “Submit Proposal” button after completing steps 1-5 listed above. If you encounter any difficulties with the submission site, please contact the IRB Chair at IRB_Chair@psych.colgate.edu
If Colgate’s IRB has asked that you revise your proposal before acceptance can be granted, you can make all requested changes by completing the following steps.
Log on to the proposal submission site as detailed above.
Once logged on to the submission site, you will see all of your previously submitted proposals. Select the proposal title that has the current status set to “revise”.
If something has changed pertaining to your cover sheet information (e.g., title, # of participants, type of proposal, investigators involved, faculty supervisors, investigator contact information, etc.), make those changes and select the “change” button. Otherwise, scroll down to the proposal section.
If you were asked to revise any of the four proposal sections, copy and paste the revised section(s) into the appropriate box(es). Alternatively, you may edit the text in the appropriate box(es). Otherwise, scroll down to the consent form upload box.
If you were asked to revise your consent form, select the “Replace or Delete” button and upload your revised consent form. Repeat this step if you were requested to revise any supporting documentation (e.g., debriefing form, questionnaires, etc.) using the “Upload Additional Documents” button.
Select the “Submit Proposal” button after completing the appropriate steps (above) pertaining to your revision. Please contact the IRB Chair if you encounter any difficulties with the submission site (IRB_Chair@psych.colgate.edu)