Seminars begin at 11:30 a.m. in the Meyerhoff Auditorium (101 Ho Science Center). More details will be added to this schedule as they become available throughout the semester.
- Welcome back and Summer Research Student Talks: Daniel Schussheim '14 "Modeling the behavior of two-level atoms excited by phase diffusive lasers with MATlab"
and Robera Gelata '14 "THz Spectroscopy of Carbon Nano-tubes
- Summer Student Research Presentations
- Physics and Astronomy - Betty Anderson "The Optimization of Synchronization of Entorhinal Cortex Stellate Cells in Small-World Networks"
- Visualization Lab - Ian Dwyer "Biology in the Ho Tung Visualization Laboratory"
- Biology - Parker Lewis "The Effects pf Wnt/β-catenin and FGF Signaling Pathways on the Zebrafish Lateral Line"
- Geology - Jaclyn Baughman "Uranium Contamination and Groundwater Migration"
- Geography - Sara Cavallo "Reading the Tea Leaves: Mapping Land Cover in Southern Uganda"
- Chemistry - Silvia Bobeica "The Synthesis of C-linked Galactosyl - α - Serine Tn antigen Mimics"
- Math - Jack Holland and Adriana Sperlea "Modeling and Computational Analysis of Zebrafish Segmentation"
- Computer Science - Rohan Mehta "The Effect of Multipath IP routing on TCP Performance"
- Psychology/Neuroscience - April Bailey "The Effects of Hand Gestures on Learning Novel Phonemes"
- Summer Research Student Talks:
- Lauren Bearden '14 "Trends in the Short-term SSI Variability over 100 Carrington Rotations from the UV through the Near IR"
- Michael Fusco '13 "Hubble STIS Data: A Spectroscopic Census of Hd-32297"
- Katie Iadanza '13 "Photometric Analysis of the Transiting Exoplanet TrES-1"
- Alyssa Sokol '14 "Sidereal Period Determination of Koronis Family Asteroid (1635) Bohrman"
- Summer Research Student Talks
- Mary Rose Devine '13 "Computational modeling of stochastic noise in ion channel currents of stellate cells"
- Maggie Dievendorf '13 "Optimizing nickel extraction for meteorite analyses"
- Jennifer Calzarette '14 "Evolution and Algae: A Comparison of Barnacle Exoskeletons"
- Tanya Zakowich '14 "The Effect of Algae Growth and Scarring on Shell Strength of Lake Tanganyika Snails"
- Summer Research Student Talks
- Ryan Freeman '13, Matt Brunetti '13, Peter Williams '13, and Sean Guo '13 "Nonlinear and Neural Dynamics of Josephson Junctions"
- Mike Hildreth, Professor of Physics, Notre Dame "The Discovery of the Higgs Boson at CERN"
- Fall recess (no seminar scheduled)
- Summer Research Student Talks - Visualization Lab Research: Sarah Byer'15 (Hercules and the Summer Skies)
; Ben Diamond'13 (Original Music);
Ian Dwyer'14 (Intercellular Flight
); Alan Dowling'15 (Murder on the Ides
); Kevin Tuttle and Alex Burnett'15, RIT (Making of a Star and Her Entourage
- John Tarduno, Professor of Geophysics, Department of Earth &
Environmental Sciences and Physics & Astronomy, University of Rochester “Magnetic field strength, water and life on the early Earth”
(joint seminar with Geology)
- Don Campbell, Professor of Astronomy, Cornell University "Illuminating the Solar System: Searching for Ice on the Moon and Imaging Asteroids with Radar" cancelled due to inclement weather
- Summer Research Student Talks: Dani Solomon'13 Measurement of Stink Bug BVOCs and Their Role in SOA Formation
; Kevin McCullough'14 Using Spatial Light Modulators to Encode Spatial Modes onto Single Photons
; Michael Senatore'14 Single Photon Quantum Optics
; Flora Cheng'14 My Summer in Ottawa: 3 Months, 4 Projects
- Britton Plourde, Associate Professor of Physics, Syracuse University Using Superconductors to Process Quantum Information
- Thanksgiving Week (no seminar scheduled)
- Paul Alsing, US Air Force Research Lab, Quantum Computing at AFRL/RI
- Steven Gimbel, Gettysburg College, "Einstein's Jewish Science: Physics at the Intersection of Politics and Religion"
(joint seminar with Jewish Studies)